Coming Out (Hamilsquad x Reader)

[Modern! AU]
WARNING: cursing, LGBTQ+, negative thoughts, adorableness
Word Count: 797

The five of you, meaning John, Alex, Lafayette, Hercules, and yourself, laughed as you walked out of a restaurant you had just eaten at. Sure, you had had a great time, but you could feel the anxiety and nervousness growing in the pit of your stomach. See, you were planning on coming out to your best friends that you were transgender (FTM/MTF), or trans as some people called it.

   But you were scared. Sure, they were gay and Alexander was bisexual, but that was a different area of the LGBTQ+ community. How would they feel about you? Would they stop being friends with you? Would they hurt you or mock you? So many thoughts and bad scenarios ran through your head; it was terrifying, and you knew you shouldn't be this scared. It should be easy- just tell them and hope for the best.

You didn't want to lose your friends. That was your biggest fear. You were shy and had very few friends. It was a surprise to most that you were friends with some of the loudest men in New York, let alone best friends.

You just didn't want to mess up.

Maybe I can put it off unti-

   "Y/N?" the voice of John Laurens said, pulling you from your thoughts.

   "Hm?" You looked at him, nervously fiddling with your thumbs in front of you.

   "Are you alright? You've been so tense all evening..."

Alexander nodded in agreement with John. "It's kind of scaring me... You're never like this."

   You nodded, putting on your most convincing smile. "I'm fine."

   Somehow, Lafayette and Hercules both saw through it, and they exchanged a knowing glance.

Well shit, you thought.

   "Mon ami, you must tell us what is the matter," Lafayette said, pulling you to a bench and making you sit down.

   You bit your lip, your anxiety at an all time high.

   "Y/N, c'mon," Hercules said, sitting beside you. "You know you can tell us anything." John, Alex, and Laf all nodded in agreement.

   You sighed. "It's just... It's hard to explain."

"Well, can't you just say it then?" Alex asked, kneeling on the ground in front of you with Lafayette. John sat on the other side of you, gazing at you worriedly.

You inhaled deeply. "I-It's not that simple, Alex."

"Yes it is!" Alex exclaimed. Hercules gave him a warning glance, making Alex shut up.

You gazed at your shoes. You felt a hand on your shoulder, and you looked up to see Hercules giving you a kind smile. Looking at the others, you saw them all waiting patiently for you to say something.

Now or never...

"I...I'm trans." There. I said it. You bit your lip. You looked at the ground, not wanting to see their reactions. Surely they hated you now, right?

Silence hung heavily in the air. A few moments passed, no one saying anything as the information was processed.

   Now very uncomfortable and embarrassed, you stood up and started running down the sidewalk. I messed up. I messed up. I messed up I messed up I messed up ImessedupImessedup

   You were panicking so much that your thoughts were jumbling together and you didn't even notice you were being hugged by someone.

When you came back to reality after zoning out, you realized you were crying into someone's chest- specifically, Hercules' chest.

"Hey, hey, shh..." he said quietly, hugging you close and rubbing your back slowly. Then another pair of arms wrapped around you, and another, and another. Soon, the four boys were hugging you, trying to calm you down.

After a couple minutes you finally calmed down. Wiping your eyes with your sleeve, you stepped away from them and looked at them. "S-So...?"

All four of them grinned at you. That's either really good or really bad.

"That's great for you, Y/N!" John exclaimed, giving you another hug. Laughing a bit at his child-like excitement, you hugged back, feeling relieved.

"Yeah!" Hercules agreed, grinning at you as you looked at him over John's shoulder. "I kinda suspected it, but it's good to know that! At least you're happy."

"Oui!" Lafayette smiled. "I am very proud of you, Y/N!"

Alexander just beamed. "I know I wouldn't've been able to come out! I agree with all of them; congrats, Y/N."

Letting go of John, you gave each of them a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks guys," you said, grinning from ear to ear. "Y'know, I may have to join your little polyamorous group." All of them turned red, making you giggle. "Don't deny it; I've seen the way you all look at each other. And I love all of you equally."

Alexander grinned. "We'd be happy to have you, Y/N."!