Doodles (John Laurens x Reader)

[Modern!Soulmate! AU]
•AU: Whenever your soulmate writes something on their skin, it appears on your skin in the same place.•
WARNINGS: vv slight Lams
Word Count: 876

You tapped the non-pointed end of your pen to your lip absentmindedly as your science teacher rambled on about the composition of the soil. So boring. Why did we need to know this anyway? You lived in New York City- it's not like you're going to be a farmer someday.

You flexed your wrist a bit to get rid of the aching from taking notes. As you did, something caught your eye- a small doodle of a turtle on your right wrist. Soulmate. You had always heard the stories about how there were different ways to tell if you had a soulmate, but you had pushed it aside as a bunch of crap.

I have a soulmate. The mere thought of someone you were supposed to spend eternity with made you feel giddy inside. And apparently they like turtles. How interesting...

"-and what is humus, Y/N?"

The sound of your teacher's voice snapped you out of your thoughts. You looked up as your face flushed slightly, every pair of eyes in the room fixated on you.

"H-Humus is a dark colored substance."

With a knowing glare, your teacher continued on with her lesson.

You sighed quietly and looked at your wrist again. The turtle was very detailed, but it was only about two inches long. Honestly, it was kind of cute. No, Y/N. You haven't even met this boy yet.

The lunch bell brought you back to the real world. Quickly gathering your things, you hurried out to your locker. After putting your school supplies inside of your locker, you spun around and slammed into someone. You fell on the paneled floor.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" a voice said.

You sat up and rubbed the side of your head gently. "It's okay," you said as you looked up to who you had collided with.

He had freckles all over and big brown eyes. His curly amber hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and he was fairly short for a guy your age. He held out his hand to you, and you took it, only to notice a small detail about him.

The boy had a small, intricate turtle drawn on his wrist.

After you were standing and had dusted yourself off, you looked at him. "What's that on your wrist?"

"Oh, this?" He held out his right wrist to you. "It's just a doodle of a turtle! Isn't it cute? I drew it myself!"

You smiled a bit at his childlike enthusiasm. "That's really good."

"Now I just have to wait for my soulmate to find me! They'll have a turtle too!" He grinned at you. "Do you believe in soulmates?"

"I..." You rubbed your right wrist with your left thumb nervously. "Sure I do."

"Oh!" The boy smacked himself in the forehead. "I didn't even tell you my name! I'm John!"

"Y/N." You giggled.

"Can I buy your lunch to make up for smacking into you earlier?"

"No, John, that's okay." You gave him a kind smile. Oh my God, he's so cute.

"Are you sure? I'd be happy to!"

"It's fine, really."

"Okay!" John smiled at you. "Cmon, let's eat lunch together!"

Nodding, you ran after him as he took of for the lunchroom.

After you both got your lunch and sat down, John started rambling on about this guy named Alexander and how he was so amazing.

Smiling politely, you listened to his tangent as you ate. Hard to believe this dork is my soulmate.

"He's so aweso-" John froze and turned red. "Wait...wh-what?"

You realized you had said that out loud. "O-Oh, um..." You showed him your wrist.

John stared for a moment before a grin spread across his adorable freckles face. "Oh my god! This is great!" He shot up and ran over to a nearby table where three guys sat, clearly startled by John randomly bursting in.

John yelled at them about the soulmate thing for a while before four heads turned to you as John pointed. "That's Y/N, my soulmate!" he practically yelled.

You turned red and waved shyly.

John came back with his friends, and the three other boys sat down at your table. "Y/N, meet Alexander, Lafayette, and Hercules!" he said enthusiastically, pointing to each one as he named them.

   A brown-haired boy with his hair pulled back into a slick ponytail and dark eyes smiled at you. Alexander. "Hey, Y/N. Nice to meet you!"

   A tan-skinned guy with brown eyes and curly black hair restrained in a man bun winked at you. Lafayette. "Pleasure to meet you, mon ami." he said with a thick French accent.

   An African-American (I mean in no way to be racist btw) boy with black hair and a red bandana grinned, clearly happy for his friend. Hercules. "Thank God! Finally, he'll shut up about his soulmate obsession!"

   "Hey!" John flushed pink, and his friends laughed.

   "You better treat him right, Y/N," Lafayette said in a low tone, leaning across the table slightly.

   "Otherwise..." Hercules made a fist and punched it into his hands.

   You were silent for a second. Then the five of you burst out laughing.

   And that's how it all began...