Reunion pt. 2 (Marquis de Lafayette x Reader)

~Note: Lafayette goes by they/them pronouns in this.
WARNING: slight feels? idk??
Word Count: 900

   You woke up to someone humming softly. Opening your eyes a bit, you looked up and saw your fiancé, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier Marquis de Lafayette. They had their eyes closed, and they were humming a soothing tune quietly, presumably to you.

You smiled. Lafayette was always so sweet to you, and they would do anything for you. "Morning, Laf," you said quietly.

   Their captivating brown eyes fluttered open at the sound of your voice. "Bonjour, Y/N. How did you sleep?"

"I slept okay," you replied, running your hand through their tangled mess of morning bed-head. Truthfully, you had had a couple nightmares about Lafayette not coming home from war, but they were just nightmares.

"Just okay?" Lafayette echoed, a hint of worry in their voice. "Is something wrong, mon cher?"

   "No, not at all," you responded a bit too quickly. You hugged them and hid your face in their chest before Lafayette could try to see if you were lying by your eyes. You had always known that Lafayette could tell what you were thinking just by the look in your eyes.

   Marquis let out a quiet sigh and gently ran a hand through your hair. "Y/N, mon amour, you must tell me what is wrong. If you do not tell me, I cannot help you."

   You felt guilty for not telling your fiancé. But I'm protecting them, right? I'm keeping their burden light. They won't have to worry about me. "L-Lafayette, I told you I'm fine." You silently cursed your stutter, for now they definitely knew you were hiding something.

   Lafayette gently grabbed your chin and made you look at them, their brown eyes scanning your face. Their eyes settled down as they gazed into your beautiful E/C orbs. "Y/N, what are you not telling me?"

   "It was just a small nightmare, Laf," you mumbled, trying not to look at them. It was hard, though. "Don't worry yourself with it. I'll be okay."

   You watched as Marquis' eyes widened. "Mon cher, it could not have been just a nightmare. You seem so shaken up."

   "I said I'm fine, so just leave it alone!" you snapped at your fiancé, immediately regretting it. Softening your voice, you said, "Laf, I-I'm sorry. I-"

   "Do not apologize. I should not have pressed." Laf cut you off, his voice dull. They got out of bed and pulled on their clothes before walking out of the room, slamming the door shut behind themselves.

   You felt horrible now. Guilt pooled at the pit of your stomach. Your head spun as you fought back tears. Good going, Y/N, you reprimanded yourself silently. You can't even protect your loved ones from yourself. They probably hate you now, and they're gonna call the marriage off. God, I'm so stupid.

Laying back into the comfort of your pillow, you curled up into a ball and stared at the wall. The only sound that filled the room was the ticking of the clock and the sniffles that came from you as you resisted the strong urge to cry.

   Time passed slowly, and it seemed like every second was an hour. You couldn't bear being away from Lafayette, even though they were mad at you.

   You hated yourself for snapping at him. You were just tired and hungry. Hungry. Food sounded really good, but maybe it was better if you didn't eat. Lafayette would probably like you better if you weren't so unhealthy.

   After a while, a soft knock sounded at the door. "Y/N...?" The soft sound of Lafayette's voice drifted through the door to your ears. You replied to them with a low groan and rolled so you were facing the wall opposite of the door.

   A creak echoed throughout the room as the door opened and closed, making Lafayette cringe. Then the sound of footsteps approached your bed. The scent of something delicious wafted to your nostrils, making you really want to roll over.

   "Mon amour, I made breakfast for you," Lafayette said to you gently, like they were talking to a scared animal. "It's your favorite- F/BF."

   You decided to roll over and look at them. They were holding a tray of the delicious food they had promised, and their eyes gazed at you nervously. As your eyes met theirs, you noticed that their eyes were a slight red. You felt the pit in your stomach expanding rapidly, your guilt almost overpowering. "Oh Laf..." You gently placed your hand on their cheek. "I'm so sorry, love. I-I was just-"

   Lafayette silenced you with a quick kiss. "It is okay, mon cher. I know you were just tired and hungry. I should not have pressed, as I said." They paused. "Here, eat. You look like haven't eaten in weeks."

   You looked away in shame. Truth be told, you hadn't eaten in weeks. You had been too worried for them, scared that the love of your life wasn't going to come home.

Lafayette sighed. "Just eat. We can talk later, okay?"

You nodded, sitting up. You took the tray from their hands gently and set it in your lap. You began to eat, and Lafayette sat on the bed at your feet, smiling to himself.

Let's just say that the little "talk" you had later on that day escalated very quickly, and all was forgiven.