6

I snapped awake as my alarm went off. I quickly shut it off and ran down stairs while shutting my bedroom door. It was already eight and I hoped my mom was still up.

"Mom?" I asked and she turned to me.

"The cars warmed up. It's about a hour's drive so hurry up." She said and I smiled. I remembered that he didn't have shoes or a coat and sighed. I grabbed a blanket and walked out to the car. It was snowing now and it was even colder this morning. I got in the front and waited as my mom got in as well.

We drove quietly and I bobbed my leg nervously. I couldnt help it. I didnt know how he was gonna be and I didnt know what I was gonna do. My mom placed a reassuring hand on my knee to stopping it.

"Sorry." I said and she smiled.

"Listen to me Al. If this situation goes the way I think it will your the only thing he's gonna want to be with besides his sister." She said pulling her hand away and placing it on the steering wheel. "Dont be nervous because he needs you to be strong for him. He's the one thats nervous you need to be there for him." She said and I looked down embarrassed.

"What is that supposed to mean mom?" I asked and she sighed.

"I can tell that Regan is a troubled child and I've seen the way he is around you. When you were at his house after the men attacked you. He was seriously worried about you. But he didnt know you at the time. Just trust me Al. Be the strong one for him this time ok." She said and I nodded.

We sat in silence again and I sighed. When we finally pulled into the hospital parking lot my mom spoke. "I'm gonna drop you off at the entrace but I cant stay up there so you are gonna have to walk back far enough to where I can pick you up." She said and I nodded. She pulled up and I got out. I walked in and went to the front desk.

"Hello sir can I help you?" The reception lady said.

"Yes im here for the Carter family." I said. She clicked some stuff on her computer and nodded.

"Go to the ICU and take a left. Ask reception for directions." She said and I nodded.

"Thank you." I said the walked in the direction of the ICU I followed the signs and eventually found the reception desk.

"Your here for?" The lady said with a snarky attitude.

"Carter." I said. She clicked on some stuff. Then pointed down the hall. I went down it and looked around. It was a waiting room and i instantly spotted Regan.

He sat with his head in his hands and I knew he was crying. Sadness grew inside me. There were other people but they were to caught up with their own problems to care.

I walked up to him and knelt in front of him. I remembered what my mother said and decided she was right. He did need someone to be strong for him.

I put my hand on his kneck and pulled him to my shoulder. He huffed and gripped my shirt with his hand on my other shoulder. It was almost as if he knew it was me because he cried without hesitation and pulled me closer. He didn't bawl or sob. Just silent tears left him as we held each other.

"Regan she'll be ok. Its gonna be alright." I said rubbing his shoulder and he shook his head against my shoulder.

"No Allen she's not. She's so stupid and she made Caddy see her do that. I'm such an idiot I should have stayed home so she wouldnt have done it and Caddy wouldn't have seen that." He cried quietly.

"Regan it's not your fault. Calm down it's alright." I said hugging him tighter. I felt tears fill my eye's but they didnt fall. I pulled the blanket out and wrapped it around him. Then I heard shouts behind us and Regan tensed. We pulled away from each other and I saw a man come out of no where. He pushed Regan against the wall but I pushed him away. He glared at me then shouted at Regan.

"It's your fault you little shit. She wouldn't have overdosed if your stupid ass would learn to pay the bills and get your shit together." He yelled but I shook my head a male nurse walked up and began speaking to him while the man cussed.

I grabbed Regan's hand and pulled him away from his father. I saw tears run down his face and I gripped his hand tighter while pulling him out of the hospital. When we got out I saw him pull the blanket tighter around him. We walked farther down until my mothers van pull up and we quickly got in. We both buckled up and Regan leaned forward with his elbows on his knees and his head in his other hand. He didnt let go of mine though.

He gripped it tightly almost as if it were the only thing keeping him from braking down completely. I saw the drowsiness in his eyes everytime he'd open them. I put my other hand on his shoulder and pulled him a little.

"Come on lay down." I said quietly while pulling him back. He laid back and his head rested on my knee. He sighed. The belt wrapped around his waist but he didn't seem to care.

I couldnt help myself when I ran my fingers though his hair. His eyes stayed closed and he let me do it and I smiled. His hand stayed wrapped in mine and eventually I felt his body relax. I leaned my head back against the head rest and my mom smiled.

"I told you." My mother said and i smiled looking down at him. I leaned back again and closed my eyes. Then I slowly drifted off again.