33

Its been almost a year and my father hasn't tried to attack me once. Me and Regan have never been closer. "Ok you ready?" I asked as he stood turned around in the living room. Molly helped get us a place of our own and when we leave high school we will have to start paying. It was currently Christmas time and we would be heading to Moms in about an hour but I had a special present for Regan first. He had told me he wanted this after a advertisement on a sign popped up and he freaked out. But he couldn't get it because Molly wasn't having it.

"I've been ready." He said and I chuckled while pulling the big box out of its hiding spot and setting it behind him.

"Ok turn around." I said and he did when he saw it a huge smile formed on his face.

"Why do you want me to open it now and where was it?" He said making me chuckle.

"Because it's special and I'm not telling you cause I might have to use that spot again." I said and he laughed. "Open it." I said and he laughed again while kneeling in front of it. I'm terrible at wrapping so I had to have my mother do it.

"This was nice wrapping." He said and I shook my head.

"Mom." We said in unison and he nodded. He pulled open the paper and the box jerked some.

"Careful don't jerk it." I said and he laughed.

"Why is it glass?" He asked and I laughed.

"Maybe now open it gently so you don't brake it." I said and he shook his head while rolling his eyes. He opened the box better this time then pulled open the cardboard flaps. There was a loud yelp and he squealed. Yes I said it Regan Carter squealed like a fuckin girl. He pulled the giant fur ball out of the box and the German Shepard puppy growled playfully and licked his hands as he held her.  

"Oh my god. I cant believe you got her." He said a huge smile on his lips. The puppy growled and barked while licking under his chin. He giggled and kissed her head.  Then stood and kissed my lips. "Baby thank you so much." He said kissing my cheek and I laughed while rubbing the dogs ear.

"Name?" I asked and he sat down next to me while letting her walk on our laps.

"You haven't named her yet?" He asked and I shook my head.

"I got her for you. She doesn't have a name yet and I wanted you to name her." I said and he smiled even more.

"How bout Gram?" He asked and I smiled knowing exactly what he meant.

"Gram it is." I said and he smiled. "Theres more." I said pulling the box to me. "I got a leash and food bowls. Treats and toys oh and a collar." I said and he smiled even wider. She crawled up onto his chest and nuzzled her head into his neck.

I grabbed the collar out of the box and handed it to Regan. "Put it on her so we can take her with us." I said and I swear he became a kid in a candy store.

******

2 days before New Years

Regan and I were sitting in our living room watching tv at around nine when the door bell rang. Gram's been making it a habit to come stand at the door and wait for me or Regan to open it. She wasnt really vocal about it either. If she knew the person she would wag her tale and pant. If she didn't she would stand perfictly still and wait.

However this time she bared her teeth and growled at whoever was on the other side. I dont know what prompted me to do it but I looked out the side window before opening and my heart stopped to the point where my knees gave out and I slid down the wall onto the floor.

I was breathing heavy cause I felt like I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. I heard Gram whine then her little paws hit the floor. I could hear her barking loud in the distance but the door bell rang again and my heart stopped even more.

Gram ran back in front of me and barked. "Babe whats wrong?" Regan said and he knelt next to me. I pressed a hand to his mouth as I breathed heavily. I pointed a shaky finger to the door and felt fear rise up in my gut. Gram jumped up onto my lap which kind of helped when Regan got up and looked out the side window. Anger flashed in his eyes but he locked the door and deadbolt.  The door bell rang again then pounding on the door and I flinched. Regan looked at me and put my head in his hands.

"Listen to me. Go to our room and lock the door. Call 911." He whispered.

"No your coming with me they wont hesitate to kill you." I whispered and he looked back at the door then nodded. We crouched down and crawled low so they wouldnt see us through the windows.

Hands grabbed my shoulders and I knew it wasnt Regan cause he was in front of me. I yelled as I was thrown agaisnt the wall. My head smashed off it and i dropped to the floor. A shot fired and I heard Regan yell something.

I quickly got up a little. My head pounded and blood dripped from my temple. I was extremely lightheaded and super dizzy. I was seeing sets of two as I looked up at them. Regan punched him and the gun in his hand flung to the floor. Then he was pinned by Regan as Regan tried to choke him.

If it were any other situation I would be horrofied by what he was doing but this is life or death. But my father was to strong for him and he got Regan back on his back.

I quickly searched for something to hit him with. I crawled as fast as I could to the gun.
"Tell my girlfriend that its not mine when you see her in hell." My father hissed. I aimed the gun at him just as I saw his hand meet Regan's side with a knife.
"Tell her yourself." I said while pulling the trigger and my fathers head snapped to the side and he slid off Regan. 

I heard sirens but ignored them. I was at Regans side in seconds. "Baby can you hear me?" I asked and he groaned as I pulled him into my arms. Blood seaped from his side. "Stay with me baby please stay with me." I said and I could hear his breaths becoming more shallow. I looked for somethng to put pressure on it and when I found nothing I pulled my shirt off, wadded it up and quickly pressed it to the wound. He groaned and guilt filled my chest. "Regan. Baby please stay awake." I shouted ad his eyes drifted off.

Some one burst through the door and shouted. "Regan stay with me." I said with a lot more force than before. An EMT made it to his other side.

Oh god please don't take him.