25

Ronan's POV

I stood there listening to every word that Alex said; I could feel the heart ache as she talked about her father, the longing in missing him, the sorrow of her mother. She had only been a child craving the love and embrace of a family, of a mother that truly cared for her as she probably once had. Yet, when her tears began to fall, I could no longer keep my distance from her. In a flash I was at her side pulling her in closer to me, to the safety of my embrace. Her scent engulfed me and I could feel my eyes begin to change; a strange heat grew within them, to the point it felt as if they were going to burst into flames. It was a first for me.

Quickly placing my lips to her forehead before I spoke, " Shh shh, it's okay Alex, you are safe now. " I tried to reassure her and hoping that it worked when her incoherent sobs finally began to slow. My eyes darted over towards Byron as he paced slowly back and forth, his chin grasped in the palm of his hand deep in thought. "Any suggestions?" I finally asked breaking him free.

Byron continued to pace, only now, shaking a solitary finger in the air and clicked his tongue, "I may have some sort of idea, but," he paused and looked directly at Alex, "I will need your fathers name, then I can do some research to see if this has anything to do with him or not. Maybe something from his past that you were never privy to." Alex shivered in my grasp and nodded before she spoke trying to pull away from me, of course, I wouldn't permit it and I could see the slightest of smiles forming across her lips as she wrapped her arms about my waist and held me. I was in heaven.

"James Alexander Calloway." The moment she uttered those words my eyes shot right to Byron. The name was rather familiar and held weight in my 'world'. I watched as Bryon came to an abrupt halt and turned to face us, his eyes landing upon mine before that of Alex's and I shook my head. If she were indeed the daughter of James then it would explain so much. "Hmm, well I will see what I can find, I'm sure there are some genealogy on him." And with that, he grabbed up his bags and started to head out of the infirmary. "I will be in touch in the next few days." And closed the door.

I had to admit that Byron hadn't been all that bad, besides the rumors that were floating around about him, but that was beside the point, I rather liked the old man. Slowly, I slid from the bed and moved to rest between Alex's knees, her arms nor head never moved and I sighed, "It's getting late Alex. " I told her, although I didn't want to feel the emptiness that would be left behind when she pulled away, but with learning her father's name, I knew that I had to call the guard, she must be watched at all times, if her lineage were to get out, then she would surely be killed.

Alex sighed at me as I pulled away, a pout forming across her lips when I pulled her arms free from around my waist. "I will not be far Alex, and if you need me you must only speak my name and I will be there." She seemed to find comfort in that as she slid down from the infirmary bed, her hand instantly linking with mine as if it was one of the most natural things for her. We walked in mostly silence back towards her flat room, "I think the others will be returning in a day or so." I told her and only got a nod in response. I opened her flat door and watched her walk in, she turned and stared up at me with a longing in her gaze. It was then I knew that she truly felt something for me and I was rather pleased.

"Sweet dreams ... my Alex." I whispered to her as I leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. As I turned I could see her jaw slightly drop and the palm of her hand resting against where my lips had touched her. "Good night!" she called out sticking her head out the door just as I reached mine, I turned, smiled and gave her a wink before disappearing into my own room, I missed her already.

I closed the door behind me and leaned up against it before pulling out my cell and dialed my dad's number. It rang a few times before I heard his voice, "Everything all right son?" he asked, a slight sense of worry in his tone. "Yeah Dad, I think so, but we must converse in formal fashion." I told him giving him a sign that we couldn't talk in English so we fell to out ancient language, one that was considered dead and lost to all those but the royals. I began to tell him all that I learned about Alex this evening, and the learning of her father's name, needless to say, the shock in my dad's tone was well expected and he immediately ordered guards to a protection detail for Alex, that, of course, were to be kept in the shadows at all times.

Our call ended and I shut my phone off before heading towards the shower, it was going to be a long and lonely night after finally having Alex in my arms.

Alex's POV

I was still in shock from everything that happened tonight. From me basically spilling just about everything from my past to the kiss that Ronan had placed on my cheek. Although his touch held a chill about it, it was still comforting, protective, and felt safe and I instantly craved more.

I closed my flat dorm door and leaned up against it, the palm of my hand pressed to my chest feeling the beat of my own heartbeat as it slammed up against my ribs before I exhaled. "Wow, did he really just kiss me, did he call me his Alex or was I just hearing things?" I asked myself before pushing off the door and heading to take a shower, a cold shower that it.

~~~

I walked out of my bathroom, my towel wrapped around me and sat on the bed, a sudden chill crawled over me as I sat there, it felt as if eyes were upon me, watching my every move. It had gotten to the point that I stared out the window wondering if a face would appear, and I was almost tempted to make my way to Ronan's room. Quickly, I closed the blinds to both windows and moved to my dresser to search for my favorite jammies, all the while with Ronan on my mind.

My mind seemed to be racing as I crawled into the warmth of my covers, but it was like it just couldn't shut off. I replayed the entire evening in slow motion, wondering if I missed anything, a reaction to my story was clear in Ronan, he had seemed royally pissed off, yet the doc, Byron continued to pace until I mentioned my real father's name. Why had I gotten such a reaction out of him?

After what seemed like a few hours, I was finally able to drift off praying and hoping that I wouldn't have yet another nightmare. As luck would have it.... fail.

It was happening all over again, yet this time something felt different, I wasn't covered in fear as I now walked through the forest, knowing every step my feet took, where they landed and even where I was headed.

I came upon the ravine that I had so many times tumbled down and peered over its edge. There didn't seem to be anything special about it so I shrugged my shoulders and slide down the side landing squarely on my feet. "Odd." I muttered to myself as I peered over my shoulder towards the direction the eyes would come from, yet, there be nothing.

I turned and headed towards the way I had always ran, carefully weaving in and out of the brush until I happened upon a cliff that was almost a straight fall. "Oh crap." I grumbled. I couldn't see out across or even down to anything, it was just pure darkness. I decided that since everything was peaceful this time around that I would take a seat and just relax, for once, maybe, getting the proper rest that I needed.

I must of sat there for what felt like hours until I heard this strange sound, taking it at first for the wind, yet, when did the wind call out my name all eerie like. I bolted up and looked around, trying to spot where it was coming from ... "Alex..... " it continued until I gave up, "Okay who's messing with me, who are you, come out where I can see you!" I called out and waited, waited for someone to admit they were pulling a prank on me, or to find out it was actually the wind.

Suddenly, a dark shadow began to emerge and I gasped the moment his face came into view, it was my father.

I bolted up in bed covered in sweat, my chest rising and lowering at great speed, my eyes darting around until I realized that I was back in my room. "Damnit! " I cried out and plopped back down, "Just when it was a civilized dream ... " I began, as my gaze grew wide, "Dad" I whispered before warm tears once covered my cheeks. I cried myself into a dreamless slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cliffhanger !

What is the history behind Alex's real dad, James and why did Byron and Ronan react the way the did?

Why has her dreams changed from horrifying to almost comforting and how did her dad appear so easily, has it been him the entire time, sending her into these nightmare that caused pain and bruises, or is there someone or something else forcing their way into her thought?

Want the answers, then keep on reading!

And please, don't forget to vote and comment!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~