35

Alex

Eli slept pretty good for the night all bundled up in my arms and even though my surroundings were much less then comfortable I had to admit, having Eli back with me helped me sleep. I awoke to the sound of Scarlett whimpering and finally my curiosity got the best of me. I carefully slid Eli onto the small make shift cot like thing we had been sharing, making sure she was still fast asleep before I made my way over towards where I assumed Scarlett was. "Scarlett?" I muttered through the darkness and I could hear her gasping stop. "You know I won't hurt you Scarlett." I told her and just stood there.

"You don't know every thing that I did Alex, if you knew you would wish death upon me." She told me and I shrugged it off, it's not like I even had the strength to harm her, she was, after all, a she-wolf. I didn't care what else she had to say and I continued my way closer to her, "Alex, please don't." She begged and of course, me being stubborn I ignored her. The closer that I got to her the stronger her scent got, it smelled almost like death run over twice. I finally made my way to her and knelt down at her side so I could get a better look at her. "Scarlett, what have they done to you?" I asked her as I looked at her mangled form. She was covered in dirt, dried blood, and bruises and well honestly, she looked like pure hell.

I rushed over towards the sink that was barely dripping water, ripping a piece of my shirt off and trying to soak it the best that I could before I headed back to her side. "Scarlett, I don't care what you have done, it seems that you have suffered more then I have at the hands of this monster called Norden." I told her as I tried to clean her up the best that I could manage considering. She winced from the pain I was causing her yet still held in her cries. "He's not as bad as you may think, he wasn't always like this, and it's my fault." She told me, which shocked me.

"How do you figure it's your fault? I mean it doesn't seem like you could do anything to hurt him, he's so massive." I asked her and could hear her sigh, "I am his mate and I've hidden from him. I was scared, afraid that I wasn't good enough for the Alpha." I was shocked but was more shocked when the cell door slammed open and there was Norden standing in the doorway, his eyes glowing a deep blue, his chest rising and lowering with each labored breath. "Oh shit." Scarlett mumbled. I quickly rose to my feet and placed myself between her and Norden as he stepped closer. "Don't you dare hurt her!" I screamed almost at the top of my lungs. Norden stopped dead in his tracks and gaped at me. "She is MINE! My MATE!" He yelled at me. "And, your point? You've hurt her this far what's to make me think you won't continue ... mate or not!" I asked.

Norden stood there in shock, his gaze softened as he looked down upon Scarlett. "I didn't know, why couldn't I smell you, why have you hidden from me?" He continued to ask her over and over again. I had to say that I felt kind of bad for him; Norden genuinely looked like his heart had been crushed. Scarlett hadn't said anything but let out a slight whimper from behind me. Norden clenched his hands and stormed out of the cell slamming it behind him. "I will return for what is mine!" He yelled out from up the staircase. "It's all right Scarlett, he's gone, at least for now." And she broke down in shambles.

Scarlett

Why was she coming over here, how could she show any concern or sympathy for me, after everything I had done. I was the reason her family had been killed, but I had to admit that I was relieved to see that sweet Eli had survived. I was glad that I had been the one to find her, I couldn't have led them to her after what I saw was happening with the others, but, Alex could never know I was there. I could here her making her way closer to me, and it shocked me the sympathy that she had after everything I knew she had already been through, the loss of her bio-father, her mother succumbing to the depression, the abuse of her cruel step-father, yep no sympathy lost there, that bastard needed to die.