36

Ronan

My men had been working through the night and the sun had started to peek through the windows, I, of course had yet to sleep, it felt like I was on high alert with everything that was going on. Finding Alex, losing her, singing out about her history and missing her like no one could ever believe or even comprehend. There was an aching growing in my chest with each passing hour; one I never knew I could feel, it was heartache.

I was about to head out of my study when a knock banged on the door. "Enter." I replied and Sam entered. I was in shock that he was back already, there was not going to be any grey area on this report, it was either going to be really good, or horribly bad. "Sam, your are back so soon! Please tell me that you have good news." I silently begged but the look on his face wasn't a joyful one. "Awe crap man." I grumbled as I walked over to by desk and plopped down into my chair, my head going straight into my palm. "Well, spill it Sam."

Sam moved to the chair in front of my desk and plopped down. "Well, I found the compound and it's highly guarded, I watched all night, and it didn't take long for me to get their pattern of patrols. There isn't much of a gap between shifts, maybe five minutes, if that." He paused as he leaned forward and sighed heavily. "Dude, I don't see how we are going to get her out of there, if she's even in that compound. We have to be smart about this, strategic. Their lands are large, and when I say large, I mean huge. I tried to travel and map their borders but it just kept going and going. We may have to rally our people, talk to the other clans that are within your region and get them to help. " Sam continued on and on and it started to feel like the old days, when we were younger, as in small children younger playing army men of sorts. It was the only thing that I could compare it to.

I leaned forward and sighed, "Okay, get all your information together, lay it out on the map, and update it as much as you can. Then we will get the rest of our men and you will go over everything. Assign each of them a task, we will get the scholars to start tracing the packs history, learn everything about them that we can." I told him as I rose to my feet and started to pace, "We will educate ourselves, we will find their weakness. I just hope that it doesn't take to long. We have to find Alex."

Without saying a word Sam lifted to his feet and nodded before he headed out. He stopped at the door and looked at me over his shoulder, "We will find her Ronan. Have faith in that." And he was gone. I should have known that Sam would be the one to give me hope when I needed it the most. I picked up my office phone, yes, one of the old fashioned ones with a cord that was plugged into the wall jack and dialed up the scholars. "Yes, my Liege?" I was greeted immediately. "Thomas, I need you to research the Sacred Moon Pack, get everyone on this and go back as far as you can, I know they have been around for some time and any pack that has lasted that long, we will surely have something on." I informed him.

"At once my Liege, but, may I ask if we are searching for something specific?" Of course he would ask me that, and it would be hard to put into words, not everyone knew of Alex. "They have taken something dear to me, and I want it returned. Even search in the lore, prophecies, anything that you can come up with along with the bloodlines, pack borders, anything you can think of." I knew what he was thinking, this wasn't going to be a simple task, but I knew he was up for the challenge and so was his caste. "Immediately my Liege, we shall begin immediately." The call was ended and it felt like a small bit of weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

I called up Sam on my cell, "Hey Sam." I started. "Yeah Boss?" I could hear the amusement in the tone of his voice; he knew that I didn't like him calling me that. "Sam! What did I tell you?" I asked with a slight fury. "Yeah yeah Bro, I know, but I have to admit, I like to ruffle your feathers a bit, any ways, what's up?" He asked and I sighed. "The scholars are on task, so, at least that part is taking care of, I'm anxious to see what they uncover." I had to admit. "That's great man, you know that we have some of the most intelligent scholars so I'm sure the caste will uncover something that will be useful. I've also spread the word, we have small bands of scouts that are going to go out each night and try to learn the packs borders. We will get your Queen back."