Six - Special Guest

Nada me detendrá...

German finished the last note of the song and looked to Violetta. Her face was fixed on the empty door frame. She could have sworn that someone was there.

The music stopped. Angie hurried Olga into the kitchen. Olga went to finish her soup but Angie turned to place her ear to the door. She wanted to overhear what this new woman was going to say, if she could.

"Violetta, are you alright?" Her father looked worryingly at his daughter. Her gaze didn't seem to move from the door going into the kitchen.

Violetta looked at her father for a moment and shook her head. German raised his eyebrow. He didn't seem convinced. He asked the girls if they wanted something to drink. They both nodded. Violetta took their guest over to the sofa so they could talk until German bought out their drinks.

It was eerily quiet out there. The deep tone of German's voice had gone and there was no response. Distantly, she could hear the voice of a young girl and a woman. Her chest tightened.

German's 'special' guest.

She sighed, relieved, because she could finally relax from all this nonsense of eaves-dropping. She could steal a slice or two of apple from the chopping board for the dessert that Olga was making. (When she wasn't watching, of course.)

He opened the door forcefully. It seemed heavier to open than usual. What was wrong with it? Swiftly he closed it behind him and looked down to see Angie lying in a heap on the floor.

Silly German, he couldn't restrain from giggling. A poor damsel in distress and he couldn't keep a serious face on! Unusual considering he rarely strayed from business mode. She waited patiently for him to help her up.

She's struggled enough now. He thought.

Unable to keep the laugh from his throat he reached out for her hand. She took it and soon they were both stood up, hand in hand, very close to each other...

He stopped laughing. His eyes were focused on her. They were sincere yet soft. Loving? They couldn't be. Or could they? Considering all that they went through... No. Why would this new guest be here? He's obviously found someone else.

He took a lock of her hair behind her ear, in what seemed like slow motion, and began to lean in towards her. He hoped that she wouldn't pull away...

German tucked a stray lock of her fringe behind her ear. She bit her lip and looked away. He wasn't... She looked in his eyes again and he glanced at her lips. They both shared a meaningful look and Angie's stomach fizzed with excitement. The gap between their faces became closer and closer and closer until...

"Mr German!" Olga's gasp bought them both back to Earth. Ramallo came scuttling in, adjusting his glasses in shock.

Angie bared her teeth. Say something, German!

"Well, then, I am going to get a drink for our guest."

Not that!

She turned to Olga and Ramallo who were giving her a 'uh-huh?' type look. She shook her head and laughed. The most genuine laugh she could muster to try and avoid that situation.

Even though she knew she didn't want him to, why did she secretly hope that he addressed what had just happened?

He's a coward.

Those words stung her but it was true. She learnt, well she should have, last year. He was a coward who was afraid... But then he tried to... Angie reeled her eyes back into focus. He had a new woman now. He had moved on. Once she had got this stupid dinner over with she would call Pablo. Then who had moved on?

The game had only just begun....