Ch. 9: At Night

You were staring at the ceiling inside your room. It was still dark outside.

You sat up on your bed, the sleep wouldn't take over you yet.

Thinking back to what happened after the demon's appearance, it was just meaningless like always.

Mephisto glanced closely at the broken dormitory window, a few steps away and poked the glass with his umbrella.

''This isn't a problem,'' the strange clothing man said as he leaned back with shrugging shoulders.

''What was that?'' One of the exorcists questioned loudly.

Mephisto stroked his beard on his chin.

''Now, now, don't think about it. At least _____ didn't get hurt, which is the most important thing right now,'' he clapped his hands.

You stayed quiet, heading towards the basement.

''Who owns this?'' Another exorcist asked, already inside the hallway of the basement and stared at the cross that was turned into a rod.

''Mine,'' you said emotionless, bending down in front of the window and reached out your hand.

The exorcist looked overwhelmed at the weapon shortly before looking at you. He then took it out of the wall and handed the cross to you. Immediately you took it out of he's hand, standing up yet transformed the cross back to it's original form.

''Is there anything you want?'' you asked the principal of True Cross Academy, turned your head at Mephisto.

Rin and the other students didn't say anything, watching the situation that happened for moments ago at the area. They looked around, analyzing the place if there was something to puzzle with you and the demon together. If there was any connection with you and that creature.

~~

"When are we finished with this?" you asked annoyed with crossed arms, leaning back on the chair you were sitting on.

You and the headmaster were in his office alone. The man was playing on his gameboy DS while the two of you were talking about what happened at the old boys dormitory.

"As I asked before; how long has it been going?" Mephisto responded.

Only the vitual sounds from the DS were holding back the silence between you.

Afterwards you started to reply, "I have my stuff and you have yours. There's no way I'm going to tell you."

You looked the other way, a shadow covered your (e/c) eyes. The response was bitter, yet you didn't regreted it.

"Just not yet..." you muttered under your breath with your now visible gaze as you lifted your head a bit.

It knocked suddenly on the door. It snapped you out of your thoughts. The sight of yours was on the door, thought about if you would pretend sleeping instead.

No.

You chose not to do it. You had your cross held it into your hand and walked to the exit of your room. You were about to place your hand on the knob, but took your hand back.

Knock, knock.

You kept quiet, not saying anything. Kept on your breath.

Who could it be at this time at night?

"____-San?" the voice called.

Only the form of the person was to be seen nothing more. Was it a good idea?

Knock, knock.

"____-San, are you awake?" the person asked.

You didn't do anything than just standing there, not even thinking to open the door.

'Remember not to near people,' you reminded yourself.

By pulling your cold and calm expression on, you then turned on the light and opened the door in the end.

''What is it?'' you asked, the male in his black coat stood in front of you.

A relief smile came across his lips. Why did he even smile at a stranger like you?

''Are you alright?'' was his question.

''Why would you even care, Okumura-Sensei?'' you asked directly your teacher as if was bothering you that badly.

Sensei fixed his glasses, not breaking his smile.

''I see you are,'' he said, avoiding the subject.

''Isn't it too late to ask? It's midnight,'' you sighed as you crossed your arms.

''I just finished my work and thought to go right away here to look after you,'' the male said.

Now why would he go through all the trouble just to visit you?

''Well, anyway just go, I'm fine. Thanks for asking, Sensei,'' you said as your gaze went the other way blankly.

You didn't say more. The hand of yours moved automatically the door to close, yet a larger hand stopped it from it.

''____-San,'' Okumura-Sensei called silently.

You stayed quiet.

''If there is anything bothering you, just let me know, okay?'' he said.

''Mhm. Goodnight, Sensei,'' you said after pausing a bit, then closed your door.

The male's footsteps got lower and lower as a few seconds went.

You were still in front of the door, hadn't moved from your position yet.

Eh?

As you placed your hand on your cheek, you found yourself warm.

Blush? -- Wait, what?

To be sure you moved down to your chest.

Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum ...

~

You still couldn't sleep. It was past two already in the morning, but what was changed was the subject you thought about. And it was yet weird though.

It was the first time you thought about a guy.

Okumura-Sensei.