|| seven ||

Taehyung wasn't frightened by much, but the man who was stalking his way toward them seemed like he wanted to rip someone's head off. Possibly his. The man didn't seem look dressed for a cocktail party. He wore a black cardigan, as well as black skinny jeans. The glare that his dark brown eyes shot Tae made him seriously scared that a black shoe might fly toward his face. Tae inched toward Jungkook.

"Namjoon-hyung," Jungkook said. "What are you doing here?"

"We had plans tonight," Namjoon said, voice monotone and flat.

"Yeah about that... I forgot to call you."

"I'll say," he said, stopping in from of them. He eyed Taehyung up and down. "Apparently, you have a lot to tell me." Namjoon's voice lowered so Jimin and Gran couldn't hear. "Like how you picked up a new fiancé on a two-hour train ride." His eyes narrowed at Tae. "Did you drug him?"

"No!" Jungkook protested loudly enough that his brother and grandmother looked over them.

Had they heard anything?

Jungkook grabbed Namjoon's arm and dragged him over to the food table, far away from everyone else. Though he allowed himself to be dragged backward, Namjoon quirked his brow at Taehyung. "Oh, you better get your ass over hear and join us, lover boy."

Taehyung knew he was going to have to dig himself out of this one. Part of him considered walking away, but he wasn't ready. After seeing this lavish display of wealth, he was certain the Jungkook's father—who genuinely seemed like a good guy—had plenty of incentives to take Tae's plans and make a fortune out of them, snagging away their investor to boot. Tae wasn't sure if there was enough money in the world to keep Jeon Ae-ri happy. He had to stay longer to see what he could uncover. He suspected that some of Jeon Seongjin's business associates might be at the party, and Tae hoped to sniff some information from out of them in the guise of polite conversation. The night could help him direct his investigation. He may have fallen into this role by chance, but it was showing a lot more potential than he could've imagined at the station earlier.

He cast a glance at the feisty brunette next to him. And then there was Jungkook himself...

No, Taehyung wasn't going anywhere just yet, an overprotective best friend be damned.

Jungkook looked over his shoulder, then back at his friend. "Who said I was drugged? And how did you find out about Taehyung?"

"Jimin. He wanted to know why your fiancé Taehyung let you get shit-faced on a morning ride to Busan."

Jungkook's body stiffened underneath Tae's arm. Tae unconsciously placed his hand on the small of the younger's back. He considered dropping it, but decided it added to the illusion of a couple in love. Even so, he had to admit that it wasn't the only reason he kept it there. It felt good.

The angry man in front of him didn't seem appeased by his gesture. If anything, he looked angrier when his steely gaze lowered to his arm.

"What did you tell him?" Jungkook asked, jaw clenched.

"What did I tell him? Why don't we talk about what you haven't told me?" Namjoon hissed. Tae wasn't sure Namjoon's eyes could squint any tighter as he shot daggers at him. "What the hell is going on here?" he asked tensely, adding emphasis on each word.

Jungkook rolled his eyes. "It's a long story."

"It can't be that long," Namjoon countered. "Nine hours ago, you were single. How could a great love story have unfurled in that time frame?"

"It was a misunderstanding."

"Oh, really?" Namjoon kept his gaze on Taehyung. "A misunderstanding? Are you homeless?"