|| fifteen ||

Several hours later, Jungkook was furious with him, and not without cause. For one thing, Namjoon had showed up, and despite the obvious distaste by the younger, Jin had been glued to him all night, which frankly, had both of them concerned. Jin never hooked up with anyone without a purpose other than sex, but he wasn't flirting like mad with him either. What could possibly be his goal this time? He wasn't going to get any information about the patent from Namjoon. The most he could hope for was to get intel on Jungkook, and that was pushing it.

But the main reason for Jungkook's mood was because Taehyung was being a very attentive boyfriend—getting him food and drinks, joining in conversations, making sure he was comfortable. Jungkook's family loved him. No one would find fault in that—in fact, they'd revel in it—but Taehyung was supposed to be paving the way to their breakup. And after Taehyung's behavior over the last couple of hours, the only person at the family dinner expecting that outcome was Jungkook.

Taehyung had spent most of the day dreading tonight's dinner, but it was exactly the opposite of what he'd expected. Taehyung genuinely enjoyed hanging out with Jeon Seongjin's huge family. They were down to earth and fun, the complete opposite of Jeon Ae-ri and her friends. It made Taehyung wonder why Seongjin had chosen to marry her.

The first hour was so fun he'd completely forgotten he was supposed to be laying the groundwork for the breakup he planned to initiate. But even after realizing his mistake, he was in too good of a mood to play the part, even just enough to appease Jungkook, which had been his original plan.

He was having a conversation with Jungkook's Uncle Seonghoon about the best fishing places along Nakdong River when Jungkook wrapped his hand around Taehyung's lower forearm, his nails digging into Tae's flesh.

"Can I talk to you?" Jungkook tried to keep his tone sweet, but Tae heard the annoyed hitch in his voice.

"Uncle Seonghoon was inviting me to come fishing with him this fall," Tae said with a smile, ignoring the pain in his arm.

"Yeah, I heard, but I need help with the...thing."

"What thing?" Jungkook's uncle asked.

Jungkook's eyes widened in panic; he obviously hadn't expected his ploy to be questioned.

A slow smile spread across Taehyung's face. "I've been summoned." He gave Jungkook's uncle a wink. "Never tell a beautiful man no when he wants to get you alone. Am I right?"

His uncle chuckled. "Smart man you've got there, Jungkook."

"I'm beginning to wonder," he grumbled as Tae stood and took Jungkook's hand in his.

Tae leaned close to his ear and whispered loud enough for his uncle to hear, "Just where did you have in mind?"

Jungkook jerked on his hand. He stumbled slightly but contained his amusement. Jungkook was cute when he was pissed. But Taehyung kept his thoughts to himself and followed him through the kitchen and down the stairs to the basement.

Why hadn't Tae thought to check the basement rather than his botched attempt to find his father's home office? After all, what better place to stow things best left forgotten?

But he didn't have time to look around once they reached the bottom of the stairs. "Your bedroom probably has a better atmosphere for a romantic rendezvous than your parents' musty basement."

"I did not bring you down here to make out!"

"From the look on your face, you brought me down here to murder me. But I caution you to think it through. It would be difficult to hide my body, and I think Namjoon's too busy with Jin to help."