|| twenty-seven ||

Jungkook and Taehyung spent the night under the stars, making love until the sun rose. They went for breakfast before the elder drove the younger back to his parents' house.

Tae turned to face Jungkook once they were parked in the driveway. "I feel like I should walk you to the door," he teased, taking the younger's hand in his.

Jungkook chuckled. "Trust me, you don't want to do that right now."

Taehyung's smile fell. "Then maybe I should go with you. You shouldn't have to deal with the fallout from last night on your own."

Jungkook leaned over and kissed him, his lips lingering on Tae's. "I love that you want to protect me from my mother. But I think it's time I started standing up for myself."

"Does that mean you don't want to go through with the wedding?"

Jungkook paused, studying his face. "No, as strange as it sounds, now that I'm used to the idea, I kind of want to do it. What about you?"

Taehyung didn't answer him for several seconds. "I want what you want, Jungkook. From here on out, you're calling all the shots. You want to have the wedding, we'll do it. If you change your mind and decide to say screw it all and hop on a train back to Seoul, we can do that too." He hesitated and swallowed. "And if you decide you don't want to see me again, you only have to text me and tell me to go to hell."

Jungkook forced a smile. "I can't break it off. I don't have your number." How could that be? How could he have experienced so much with this man and still not have his cell phone number? Maybe because they had spent nearly every minute together.

"Give me your phone."

The younger dug it out of his pocket and turned it on, entering his password before handing it to Tae.

Taehyung entered his number and gave the phone back to Jungkook. "See you at our wedding."

Jungkook reached for the door handle, but the elder grabbed his arm and pulled him back, kissing the younger as though he was never going to see him again. "Tae, you're scaring me."

"Maybe that's because I'm scared, Jungkookie."

"Tell me what Namjoon-hyung's going to tell me."

Tae shook his head. "I want you to decide for yourself."

Jungkook got out and walked to the house, checking his phone before he walked through the door—there were multiple missed calls and voice mails from his mother, as well as calls, texts, and messages from Namjoon, Hoseok, Yoongi and his brother. And there was one text from Taehyeon.

Call me.

He pressed delete. He never wanted to hear from that asshole again.

The front door opened before his hand could reach the knob.

"Where have you been?" His mother's voice was icy. "I've been worried sick about you. I was about to call the police."

"The police? Why would you call the police?"

"Taehyung punched his brother in the face, then dragged you to off to God knows where. I was frightened for you, Jungkook..." His mother's voice broke.

She really had been worried.

Jungkook pushed his shock aside and wrapped his mother in a hug. "I'm sorry, Mom. I'm fine. We both just needed to get away. I was getting cold feet, and Taehyung knew I needed some time alone with him to sort everything out." He shut the door behind him, then hastened his mother into the living room, where Gran sat munching from a box of fiber cereal.