|| twelve ||

Jungkook's mother was sitting at the kitchen table when Jungkook went downstairs, sipping her coffee and eating a piece of dry toast while looking over several papers. That had been Jeon Ae-ri's breakfast for as long as Jungkook could remember, which was one of many reasons why she still wore a size two dress.

She gave Jungkook a slight glance before returning her attention to the papers. "Jungkook, we have a very busy day ahead of us. Perhaps you could run upstairs and get ready?"

Jungkook, who'd been refilling his coffee cup, stopped mid-pour. "I am ready."

The bridge of his mother's nose wrinkled as she gave Jungkook a scrutinizing glance. "Really?"

He set the cup down on the counter. "What's wrong with how I look?"

His mother's eyebrows rose and she released an exasperated sigh. "We need to make a hair appointment for you at the salon. Honestly, I thought you would take care of it in Seoul before you came." She picked up her phone. "I only hope they can fit you in."

"I had a haircut three weeks ago."

His mother released an exasperated huff as she searched through her contacts without even looking up at Jungkook. "How about we start with the color? It lacks depth. We'll want highlights to show off some vibrancy when we slick it back for the wedding."

"I want to wear my hair down," Jungkook said. He wondered why he was wasting his time arguing the point when there wasn't going to be a wedding. Maybe he was just tired of letting his mother railroad everything.

His mother pursed her lips and tensed her shoulders in irritation. "Jungkook, we discussed this."

"No, mother. You discussed this, or to be more accurate, you dictated it to me and I just went along with it to keep the peace."

His mother gasped. "Jeon Jungkook, what on earth has gotten into you? Why can't you just be compliant?"

"Maybe I'm tired of being compliant and going along with every single one of your whims."

His mother waved a manicured hand covered in glittering rings. "Don't be silly. Now run upstairs, change your clothes and fix your makeup."

"My makeup is fine!"

"It's not good enough. Maybe they like the natural look in that mold-encrusted place you live in, but you're home now and you're getting married in three days. What will people think, Jungkook? Honestly. Now stop acting like a petulant child and do as I say. I'll have your amended itinerary ready for you when you get back downstairs. As it is, I'm reshuffling everything since your father dragged Taehyung off to his office."

"Yeah, I saw the itinerary. Don't you think it's a bit much?'

"You obviously need it. Now go. And check on your grandmother while you're up there. She's coming with us. Yesterday we were almost late picking you up from the train station because she refused to get dressed."

Jungkook didn't even try to hold back the laughter as he walked up the stairs.

"Gran, are you dressed?" he asked, knocking on his grandmother's door.

"Not because I want to be," the woman muttered as she opened the door. "I can't untie this knot with my arthritis." She motioned to Jungkook's robe.

Jungkook flashed an apologetic grin. "Sorry about that. You freaked Tae out. I had to make sure you wouldn't accidently flash him again."

"He's already seen it all."

"So he said."

"You need to loosen that boy up."