|| twenty-one ||

Jungkook climbed out of the tub and listened to his mother's voice mail. Taehyung was right. It sounded like his mother would be tied up all day before leaving in the morning. But he noticed something else. Taehyung hadn't mentioned that he had a voice mail from Taehyeon, yet he must have seen it.

Jungkook almost deleted it without listening, but curiosity got the best of him.

"Jungkook, I know our wedding was supposed to be in a couple of days and it's made me realize how badly I fucked things up with you. I want to take you out to dinner tomorrow night and we can talk things over. Give me a call."

He stared at his phone in disbelief. Did Taehyeon really think it would be that easy?

Another question registered, giving him pause. Would he have gone back to Taehyeon if Taehyung hadn't come into his world? No. There was no way he would have been able to trust him again. Kang Taehyeon deserved whatever miserable life he'd created for himself. Jungkook deleted the voice mail, hoping his non-response would be message enough.

Taehyung came back to the bathroom as the younger put his own phone on the bathroom counter next to Tae's dead one.

The elder leaned his shoulder against the doorjamb. "The good news is that your mother's nowhere to be found. Gran says she refused to run errands with her. Get this, Gran's excuse was that she thought she was coming down with something after running around naked last night."

Jungkook cringed. "Good...I guess."

"The bad news is that Gran wants to go to the tux rental place with us. Since I found her in her room with an easel and charcoal, I agreed. I figured it would stop her from immortalizing me in art...at least for the moment."

Jungkook laughed. "Looks like we have a chaperone."

Taehyung didn't look so excited. "I'd be lying if I said that idea thrilled me, but when your grandmother isn't streaking or trying to see me naked, she's actually kind of fun."

"I'm pretty fond of her myself."

"Say, I really need to check my emails, but my phone is dead. Any chance I can use the computer in the home office?"

Jungkook glanced up in surprise. Why hadn't he considered that? "Uh...sure. It's password-protected, though."

"Do you happen to know it?"

A grin spread across his face. "It's probably the same one my father uses for everything. BabyKookie4Me." Jungkook spelled it out for Tae. "I'll always be baby Kookie in his eyes."

A strange look flickered in Tae's eyes. "You're sure he won't mind me using it?'

"No, of course not."

Taehyung hesitated in the doorway. "How long do you think it will take for you to get ready? We have about forty minutes before we're expected to show up."

"Fifteen to twenty minutes. I have to do something with my hair." Jungkook lifted the damp strands hanging over his forehead. "It only takes about fifteen minutes to get there."

"Perfect." Taehyung glanced at Jungkook's phone. "Do you think I could borrow that? I need to check in with my business manager."

"Of course."

Tae gave the younger a quick kiss, then slid the phone off the counter and disappeared without another word.

***

Taehyung sat in Seongjin's office chair, staring at the startup screen to his desktop computer.

He knew the password that Jeon Seongjin used for everything. The implications of what he could do with that knowledge were mind-boggling.