|| sixteen ||

Jungkook had driven here out of instinct. This was where he used to come when things got to be too much with his mother back in high school, which had happened a lot. While he hadn't been here in a couple years, it still felt familiar and safe. It felt even more right that Taehyung was here with him, which was surprising. He'd never taken anyone to his special spot before.

"Let's go down this path." He turned on the mini-flashlight attached to the car key.

"That's handy," Tae said.

"My dad. He was a bit overprotective when I was in high school."

"Smart dad. He's not going to come hunt us down like a couple of kids gone parking, is he?"

Jungkook laughed quietly. "No. He has no idea I used to come here on my own. We're safe. Besides, I think he has his hands full." Jungkook followed the dirt path, turning left onto another less used path, which ended in a small clearing. "This is it."

Tae gasped from behind the younger and set the cooler down on the grass. "This is amazing."

"Thanks." Jungkook beamed with pride. They stood on top of a small bluff, overlooking the lake. A wooded shoreline was on the opposite side of the small lake, with no visible electric lights. But the real showstopper was the view of the sky. With few lights around the lake, the stars shone brighter than he usually saw them.

Jungkook handed Tae a blanket and two pillows. "Hold this for a minute," he said as he spread out a sleeping bag and then a sheet.

"You came prepared," Taehyung murmured, his husky voice sending a shiver down Jungkook's spine.

"I used to like to lie out here and look at the stars that aren't visible so close to the city." He grabbed the pillows from Tae and tossed them onto the makeshift bed.

Jungkook knew how it looked, like he had purposely brought Taehyung out here to seduce him. And maybe that was partially true. What would Tae think of that? For once, Jungkook didn't care.

"I like stars."

Jungkook sat in the middle of the bedding, and patted the spot next to him. "Bring the cooler with you."

Tae picked it up and watched the younger with a wary face before sitting next to him and setting the cooler at the edge of the sleeping bag. "What's in here?"

"Open it and see."

Taehyung opened the lid and laughed. "I was expecting worse than bottled water."

"After everything that's happened? I think we need a little break from the alcohol." Jungkook leaned forward, resting his stomach across Tae's thigh as he pulled a bottle out. Taehyung shifted at the extra weight, Jungkook a little close for comfort. The younger sat back up, cautiously watching Tae swallow hard. A million thoughts ran through Jungkook's mind, but he decided the hell with it. He was tired of playing it safe. He wanted to live a little.

Holding the bottle toward Taehyung, Jungkook asked, "Will you open this for me?"

He stared at the bottle as though undecided, then took it from him and twisted off the cap. Taehyung's gaze settled on Jungkook again before he grabbed his own bottle.

"You grew up in Seoul?" Jungkook asked, breaking the silence.

"Used to live in Daegu."

"Why'd you move away?"

"My father decided to start his business there."

Jungkook took another drink, scrutinizing Tae as he asked his next question. "Your father's entrepreneurial business?"

Taehyung's shoulders tightened and he took another drink.

"Are you and Jin close?"

Tae's gaze rose to Jungkook's face and he seemed to hesitate before saying, "We used to. But now..." His voice trailed off.

"But he came out here to find you anyway."

Taehyung seemed to think over his response. "He was worried."

"About you or something else?"

Tae looked startled, and Jungkook laughed before taking another drink. Jungkook closed his eyes and let the cool liquid run down his throat. He hadn't relaxed all evening, not wanting to lose more control over the situation than he already had. And with his stomach a ball of nerves, he'd hardly eaten either, so the stress was quickly going to his head. While part of him was screaming for him to remain on guard, the rest of him said screw it. Jungkook knew that Taehyung had some ulterior motive for helping him. But he knew Tae liked him too, and in this moment, it was all that mattered.

"Relax," Jungkook said, his eyes still closed. "I don't care."

"Why wouldn't you care?"

He turned his face toward Tae, his eyes searching his. "Because I trust you...after a fashion."

"How do you know I'm worthy of your trust?"

Jungkook sat up and set the plastic bottle in the grass next to the sleeping bag. Then he leaned toward Tae, his face hovering inches from his. "Because I can see your heart, Kim Taehyung. You wouldn't intentionally hurt me."

Taehyung shook his head, pain in his eyes, confirming Jungkook's suspicions. "How can you be so sure?"

Jungkook's fingertips rested on Tae's cheek as he searched the other's eyes. "Will you intentionally hurt me?"

"Not if I can help it," the elder whispered. "That's the last thing I want."

"I know." Jungkook's lips brushed his softly and Taehyung remained still, not even breathing.

"Jungkook," he finally whispered, sounding like he was in discomfort.

Jungkook leaned back and stared into his eyes. "I've coasted through most of my life, Tae, letting other people direct my path, but I'm tired of coasting. I want to take charge. I want to do what makes me happy." He smiled at the elder. "I want you."

Taehyung's eyes clouded.

"Do you want me, Tae?"

"It's not that easy, Jungkook. You're still a—"

He laughed softly. "It doesn't matter if I'm a virgin. It's just a simple yes or no question, no reasoning or rationale allowed, at least not tonight." Jungkook's hand cupped his neck and his thumb brushed Taehyung's cheek. "Do you want me?"

Tae's answer was to press his lips on Jungkook's and entwine one hand in his hair as he used the other to press the younger to his chest.

Shirts and pants came off in a heated session of pure passion between them. They were a tangle of tongues and limbs as Taehyung pulled Jungkook onto his lap, the younger's legs straddling his waist. The physical contact felt long overdue, and the spark that that had both felt since the beginning left them fully sated at the end.

Lying down facing each other, Jungkook looked up into Taehyung's face, and the elder smiled at the younger in wonderment and happiness. "Where have you been all my life, Jeon Jungkook?"

"Closer that we ever could've imagined."

----

A/N: whoops i just feel uncomfortable writing smut so... i'll leave it up to your imaginations