|| nine ||

As Taehyung walked away from Jungkook and his friends, Jin shouted in his ear, "What the hell was that? You scared the shit out of me!"

Tae winced at his brother's tone. Jin never cursed, unless he was really pissed. "Sorry about that," he muttered timidly.

"Is that new way to pick up guys? Because I strongly recommend you find a new technique."

"Not exactly," Tae said as he began to pace on the edge of the yard. "I left this trip up to fate, and you'll never guess what happened."

"You turned gay and got laid?" The sarcasm oozed out of the speaker.

"No. I sat next to Jeon Seongjin's son on the train."

That got Jin's attention. "What? Did you know he was going to be there?"

"I didn't even know it was him until Jeon Seongjin shook my hand at the Busan Station."

"Did he know who you were?"

"No... he mistook me for someone else."

"Who?"

Taehyung rehashed the story, and Jin let out a slow whistle. "This sounds more like me than you, little brother. Are you sure you can pull it off?"

"Amazingly, I have so far. We've even made it halfway through our engagement party."

"An engagement party?"

"His mother's a nut job. A gold-digging, social wannabe nut job. She spent enough money on this party to sustain a family of four for a year. Who knows what she's planned for the wedding? Jeon Seongjin certainly has the motive. I think I'm on to something." He paused. "No lecture? No admonishment?"

"Hell, no. You were right and I was wrong. Your plan is pure genius. I wholeheartedly approve."

Jin's approval set off blaring alarms. Tae stopped in his tracks. "You're kidding."

"No. Is Jeon Jungkook a looker? Are you going to hook up with him while you're his fake fiancé?"

"What? No!"

"So he's a dog?"

"No. He's gorgeous, but I can't start something with him. I have to break up with him as soon as I find some solid evidence."

"Tae, have I taught you nothing? Why not get some action while you're out there? It's perfect. You don't have to worry about a long-term commitment because you're only hanging around a few days and he knows you're bailing. Why wouldn't you go for that?"

"I'm not that type of guy. How's he going to feel when he finds out the only reason I'm here is to find evidence proving his father is a thief?"

"It doesn't matter, Tae," Jin said, frustrated. "You'll be gone. What's the problem?"

Maybe Taehyung didn't want to start something with him and be gone. He almost laughed at the irony. There had been one meaningful relationship in college. For some reason, it had ever felt quite right. By all appearances, they should have worked out. There were no compatibility issues, and Tae's mother had approved of his ex, but he'd always felt like something was missing.

A spark.

He'd blamed himself. Since his father's death, he'd been so driven to make his father's legacy—his business—a success, he'd given the firm priority over everything and everyone in his life. He'd told himself there would be plenty of time to find the right person and start a family when the time came. Over the last few months, when it finally seemed as though the business had found solid ground, he'd allowed himself to examine his past relationship, determined to make the next one work.