2: Startled

-A Girls Perspective-

The crisp morning air blows through my hair as I open the door. This is only such a dramatic experience because this time I am leaving the house for the first day of school.

Although I know all I will see is the same students and teacher and hallways from last year, television really tries to make me believe that school is something to be pumped about. As if school is some renewing of the body or a chance to prove yourself. I am already getting sick and tired of it.

"Hurry and get outside! I don't pay for heating so you can cool off the house!" Bea snaps, I feel a shove from behind forcing me out into the cold as she slams the door behind me.

I am basically her punching bag or stress ball or whatever you want to call it. If she feels like screaming to get her anger out she called me, if she wants to punch something she called me, if she is an emotional wreak I hear my name echo through the walls until I am right before her side at her service.

"Linnea! Get me this! Get me that! NOOW!"

That is her all time famous line for me, my only use to her is to answer her demands.

I make my way off to school which is only about a ten minute walk away from my house, but I have to walk through a mud road that will be gross during the spring time when all the snow melts away. I usually find myself hopping from large stone to the next large stone to avoid getting any sort of filth on my shoe.

My walk carries on around a street corner with a coffee shop where I can pick up breakfast in the morning if I might have made some cash.

From this street my school is straight ahead.

"Get ready for hell." I sigh. Just as I had expected, as I walk in the walls are the same, the lockers are the same, the faces are the same, the dirty looks I received are the same.

Even myself, I carry my way to my locker as I always did trudging through the halls making my way from class to class.

"Hey twig!" A voice calls behind me.

That nickname is horrible; I earned it when I got stuck in a tree from climbing too high when I was in the seventh grade. My pants got caught as I was trying to climb down and a tear spread from my inner thigh all the way around my bum showing off my bright pink undies. They never got over that.

"Hey I am talking to you!" The voice calls again.

My shoulder is taken and slams hard into the locker above me. Who else other than Tris is trying to torment me on the first day of school?

The lunch bell had rung a matter of minutes ago she now has plenty of time to break me down and eat me up, maybe adding another chin to the three already existing ones.

"Why are you here?"

"I am going for lunch so if you would please excuse me..."

"I don't listen to twigs like you!" she shouts slamming her hand on the locker. She is surrounded by people who encourage her to pick on me.

I stand blankly not knowing how to stand up for myself.

"What? You aren't going to cry are you? I'll punch those tears right off your face!" She draws back her hand and gouges me in the stomach setting me back a ways. "No mommy at home for a shoulder to cry on hey?"

I need to think fast, I quickly throw my papers in the air distracting her and I bolt for the front entrance.

My anger is bursting through the seams, my mother had left me the moment I was born clearly even she thought I was a screw up.

I run as far away from the building until my lungs are burning so bad it pains me ridiculously to breathe. I don't care where I end up. No one else seems to care so why should I?

My tracks lead me straight into a forest where I often find myself after days like this.

People in my town told me the forest was dangerous but I come here so often; knowing the place like the back of my hand, their words seemed useless now.

I walk along a patted soil path I have made by walking this distance everyday to an abandoned garage.

The place is a shit hole I have to admit but it is a place where I can be myself.

I have everything I need in here to survive at least a week. Including a bed, food, board games to keep myself busy. Even a radio.

The radio is the most important to me, the old black machine barely works anymore and it's a wonder that the garage had power supply still but I imagine it as a stroke of luck in my shitty regular life.

I walk inside through a broken wood board that holds the wall together just barely and turned on the radio.

The sounds blast so loud from sitting in the volume settings I had on it last. Once it begins all the birds nesting in the rooftop and nearby trees; become startled and flap themselves away leaving me alone to get my anger out.

I move with the steady music swaying left and right jumping from all objects in the area just to see how far I can fall without hurting myself.

I climbed high onto leftover plywood and stacked cars I can find and jump off. The landing numbing my toes with the largest crashing sound loud enough to startle me, there was no way I could have made that much noise on my own. It sounds like thunder.

I glance to all the walls around me, metal in the back corner if the garage was settling down to the floor with dust spraying and setting on the floor.

"...Hello?"

No answer. I must be alone, but I didn't move enough to make the whole sheet of metal fall.

Curiously I walk over trying to build up my confidence. The whole corner is filled with old hay and it was pitch black from the lack of usage.

There could have been someone hiding here trying to kidnap me. Is this the person my town has warned me to stay away from? Maybe the forest really isn't safe.

I chickened out and ran back to school it was a safer option in my mind.