11: Bird in the Window

-Felix-

Somehow we role still completely intact; besides Felicia's fateful screams and my mother's gasp.

We are still...
We are silent...
We are alive...

We stay in our seats and cannot find the words to say. Instead, nurses and ambulances crowd us and ask questions to make sure we are stable.

My mother has a broken rib, however Felicia and I are fine to leave.

"You and your sister will have to arrange a driver to escort you home." A nurse assures me outside of my mother's hospital room. "She will not be well enough to leave tonight."

I refuse to act but Felicia pulls out her phone and calls Tucker to come pick us up.

Within the hour he arrived and takes us away.

"Felix what would you like for supper?" Felicia asks peering over the shoulder of her car seat.

I have not said a single word since before the accident, but I choose to speak, "I just want to go home."

She nods and looks out the front window again.

As soon as we pull up to our house I enter and find my room.

At least she is alive. I tell myself.
She is not in harms way. I say.
I have nothing to worry about tomorrow is a new day.

My eyes drift in a much needed sleep.

*.*.*.*

I open the door of my bedroom rubbing my eyes awake to find Tucker wrestling with Felicia on the couch rather too comfortably.

"Please save it, at least until I am out of the room?" I groan. I walk past them and they awkwardly stop and sit up watching me walk through the room.

Luckily for them I am about to leave out the door and not return for at least an hour-plenty of time to do whatever they please.

It is late, Surely the sun has set over an hour ago leaving me to venture through the cold forest alone.

The girl, Flyer must have been expecting a letter by now, I hadn't delivered one yet.

I entered the garage by climbing through and landing on a pile of smashed cars and plywood.

This must be where I saw her jump. I think to myself; trying to find the small whole where I had hid behind before to watch her.

I peer over the edge, it's at least three meters above the ground. Nonetheless, without thinking I leap up gaining as much air as possible and let gravity take me back down, and I finish in a tumble.

My side aches but I learn to ignore it. I cannot keep her waiting any longer.

My eyes scatter around the room trying to find the familiar beige paper Flyer used. I nimble my body around the obstacle and look in every corner of the garage.

...Finally...

I cradle the paper within my fingers, I will read this at home, I decided. That way I can think clearly.

I run my way home as fast as my legs could carry me through the streets of Stockholm. A car's light blinds me and almost runs me over but that just fills my blood with adrenaline to keep going.

I find my house and stride my way upstairs. Finally peaceful.

"Hey bro." Oscar smiles; I spoke too soon. Wasn't Oscar with Renée?

"Hi, why aren't you with Renée?" I say removing my outer layers of clothes.

"Dude, it's like two in the morning..." Oscar ruffles his nose. "She went home already. Anyway your mom called me wondering where you were because it's so late and I came over to see if you came home."