49: Strike

-Felix-

My foot taps repetitively on the floor as Daff speaks, can't he notice that I am too impatient to hear his lecture.

".....Women will do that you know? you have to be carefu-"

"Why isn't Linnea back yet?"

I move up the stairs and check the washroom but the door is wide open with the light switched off. Why am I such an idiot.

"Oscar!" I call him but I know by the time I grab him it'll be too late. I bolt out the door and make a run for the forest.

I can't believe it! the one place I told myself I would protect her from is the one place I don't.

I feel so paranoid that something will happen, I'm not even supposed to be in these woods, I think of my mother's warning. They seem to have more meaning to me and ache inside my gut now that I am not listening.

"Linnea!" my voice echoes off the trees back to me, I hope to dear god she lifts her head from the shrubs or walk out from behind a tree so we can return home.

"Linnea!" I listen quietly until I hear an exasperated voice shout.

"Felix!" I follow her call until I see her standing steadily between her father and I.

"Don't move!" she shouts at me, I stable my balance and I realize Linnea's father is pointing a gun at her.

"Linnea, please come with me dear." her father tries to coax her. She takes a step towards him but I know in the back of my he he will make short work of her the moment I turn my back.

"Linnea no! Don't you dare move!" I don't have a gun to defend myself with or a knife or anything close I could even throw, I don't think I can afford chancing it when he already holds the gun a her.

"Linnea please, you have to hurry." He holds his hand out for her to take.

"Linnea!" I pick up a rock and throw it at her back, I see her body stiffen. "When has he ever shown you that he cares?"

She turns around to look at me and I see her left eye is whole, swollen and purple from force of impact.

"Did he do this to you?"

"Don't answer him Linnea. You know what you need to do."

I advance towards her and take her arm.

"Don't you dare move! Don't move!" Her father shouts at me, now pointing the gun in my direction. I feel a new source of pressure once you are told to do something or be put to death.

"Felix just go."

"Come with me."

"Do you think I have a choice? Leave before he kills you too."

I never thought I would hear her say such words to me. I know he won't kill her, but he will mentally abuse her until she is as good as dead.

"I can't."

Behind my ears I hear a twig snap and I turn to look, I pray to god that's not Oscar, he will be dead if he makes the wrong move.

"Did you hear that?" I whisper in Linnea's ear.

"Hear what?"

I look down the hill behind me and Oscar lays on the ground sneaking up to grab Linnea by the legs and I see Maja sneak behind Linnea's father ready to pounce on him.

Oscar signs that he is going to countdown.

Silence.

"THREE, TWO, ONE!" Oscar grabs Linnea's legs pulling her down the hill, I fall down after her and the last thing I see is Maja jump his back and cover his eyes so he doesn't see.

Whatever it is I still feel worried for her so I jump over the edge to help take her off of him.

My fists are pounding hard into his side but my efforts seem pointless, he still move at full capacity ripping her off his shoulders to the ground and pulling the trigger on her stomach.

My ears ring from the sound and my knees become brittle and weak collapsing at her side.

"Look at the sky, you hear me?" I don't really know what to say when people die, thats just what they say in the movies. Maja cannot take her eyes off me, she'd rather have me as the last thing she will see. I lean and kiss forehead for what I know what will be the last time.

Linnea's father runs away, he doesn't even shake at the fact he killed a young girl.

"You fucking monster!" I shake so hard my finger feel like they are burning. Oscar pull me from my knees and Maja falls out of my arms. The way her body slouches back to the earth hits me hard, because I can actually see her as dead.

Linnea falls into my chest crying her eyes out, the shock is too much to handle, but I still cannot take my eyes off Maja, her eyes are still open as she lays there, I feel like she can stand up and comfort me even though I know she can't.

Behind me I feel Oscar's arms wrap around the two of us. He's also feeling the loss, he was close with Maja as well.

"Oscar, take Linnea to the train station, I'll take care of Maja and meet you there."

"But Felix I-"

"Please Oscar must we argue right now?"

Linnea takes a step towards me. "No, I'm helping you."

She works with me to pick her up and Oscar calls for help. Which surprises me considering Maja was her enemy.

"There is still a chance for her." she says.

I look down at Maja but I know she's gone.

"Felix! Come on we have to try." She pulls up her head and shoulders dragging her until Oscar and I catch up.

The three of us work together to carry her to the edge of the forest.

"An ambulance should be here right away." Oscar moves to the edge of the road flagging down the driver.

They quickly rush out with equipment but as soon as they hook her up to the machines within the back she has lost her pulse.

"I'm sorry guys, she barely made it to the vehicle."

I nod my head, we tried at least. Nothing much else we could have done.

Linnea doesn't settle for that as am answer.

"No, nonono. Keep trying!" she pushes the nurse aside working CPR whatever she can to help her.

"Linnea, she got shot she's not choking." I say.

She ignores me panicking and checking for a pulse, but when she doesn't feel one she continues putting impressions on her chest. I look at Maja's bleeding side, the more Linnea pushes the bigger mess she makes of herself and of Maja.

"Linnea stop." Tears stream down her cheeks, and she wipes it away smearing a streak of red on her cheek.

"Linnea stop!" Oscar moves her out of the van so she can focus.

"Why are you so concerned about her anyway? She ruined everything for you."

She places her head against my shoulder. "That's still a life Felix, whether she was a bitch to me or not."

Linnea strikes me as a new person, I've never seen her so passionate about something.

*************************************************************************

Hej! How are you doing? It's day 4 of Fooo Week! I wish international Foooers had a larger impact on The Fooo. :/ Oh well... what can you do?

Make sure you vote and comment it really helps with the making of this book!

Tills nästa gång