Chapter Eighteen (Other Half)

The beginning of the end. ☁

Ryker+

I walked for hours before finding a middle aged man on the side of the high way, drinking a beer. I walked up to him, and sat next to him on the bench.

He noticed me after taking the last drops of beer from his bottle. "Damn boy, you look like you need a drink."
I questioned him, then remembered how torn up I must look. After Rems took over I'm sure I'm a wreck. I am. "Wanna go fetch one?" I look around at an empty road. "You have no car."
"I have a bus. It'll be here in a couple minutes. How bout it, boy?"
"Sure." What do I have to lose.

"Cool. What's your name, boy?"
"Ryker."
"Sweet name, I'm Ed. Simple, and nothing like."
"Hm, I see."
"Whatcha doin out here, all alone?"
"I blacked out, and ended up here."
"I've been there. Youre no werewolf are ya? I've heard the stories. haha."
He joked.
"No, I'm just an ordinary fucked up kid."
"Haha, oh Kay. You mind telling me why I'm gettin the feeling you have no releases?"
"Excuse me?" I question.
"Releases. as in, smoking and drinking."
"I've never tried it."
"Hell, you will. You're gonna love it."

As if on Que., the bus pulled in, and we hopped on, putting some change in the jar, and sitting firmly on the century old bus seats. I mean that sarcastically. They just feel centuries old, they squeak and they're uncomfortable. but I'm not complaining. Why should I?

It took a while before reaching a stop suitable to walk to the bar from, Ed stood, and as he reached to his pockets I noticed a golden ring on his finger. I didn't say anything about it. His sad tired eyes looked at me as if infuriated, "Well boy, lets go." I followed him off the bus.

One two three four. -Beers

Three- Shots.

My words became wasted, but my thoughts were clean. I wasn't thinking as much, I was completely numb. And, hell, I was happier. This buzz made me feel something different from what Rems had made me. Rems tapped through my mind too often, maybe it is best to end this once and for all. But, not now. Not when I'm drunk.

I should leave a note.
Later though.

Danny+

We looked everywhere, warehouses, woods (surprised we didn't get lost), safe places, hospitals, bus stops. Where are you Ryker? Please be okay.

We headed East, near the pubs.

Ryker+

I sat in the stool, and spun a bit, only enough till my ankle was caught on the bars, it felt relieving, everything did. Ed sat beside me, beer after beer. His body was handling. It was sad though, I could tell by his amount of alcohol tolerance he'd been drinking for a long time. I didn't question why, I didnt want to cause him more pain. I know how it feels to be triggered when you were doing so good. But, someone brings up something, and you practically fall to the floor in pain. I know the feels. I shivered, realizing I left my jacket on the bus. I looked at my jeans, torn and shitty, then my shirt black and wet with the dew still leaving traces.

That's when Ed looked up, "Ryker," He began.
"What happened to ye arm?" Oh fuck, speaking of triggers. "I've never seen anything like it."
"In short, I'm too dependant. Like, someone being the difference between hell and home."
"I see, you got problems, boy?"
"Yeah, you could say that."
There was a long dramatic silence between us.
Then he spoke up again, "They fixable, right?"
I nodded.
"Then youll be all right, ah?"
"I dont know really" I laugh trying to calm down. "It's complicated."
He motioned towards my arm. " I can see that." He said taking another sip of his beer.
"Ya know, everybody on this earth is born to battle different issues, everyones born with the strength to fight, and win them, ya see?-" wisest drunk words ive heard. "I have my own battle. Against love. A stupid feeling. I love a woman, I love her dearly, but because I wasn't enough, she left me. And, now I'm stuck with myself, and slowly trying to get back up on my feet. Not doing so great as you can see. But, it's hard living with constant what ifs and guilt trips you give yourself day by day."
"It's worth the fight in the end."
"Every battle is boy. Now matter how hard, or impossible it may seem. Every battle is fightable, every battle is beatible. And, every human has the ability to beat it. Just gotta find the will, ya know?"
"Yeah. Of course."

+To be continued.
(In the next chapter)