Lapis Takes Flight

287 days until final report.

"Talk!" Holy Blue Agate demands, "where is Rose?"

Pearl laughs. She looks Holy Blue in the eye. "You think I'll break just cause I'm a Pearl?" She asks, "heh, you'd have better luck with Ruby."

"Shut up!" Holy Blue growls. She punches Pearl, poofing her.

"Bring in the Amethyst for interrogation," Holy Blue orders a quartz soldier. The quartz soldier nods and leaves to get Amethyst...

Meanwhile, it's late in the evening in Ocean Town, and Steven has decided to spend the evening admiring the night sky.

"Nice," Lapis smiles, "isn't it?"

"Sure is," Steven replies, "I wonder what's up there, you know? I mean, you're from space, what are the other gems like?"

"It's... complicated," Lapis replies, "I missed out on a lot. I was in a mirror until the gems were apprehended. Even then, I'm still cracked. If I were to take another blow, I'd shatter."

"Apprehended?" Steven asks, "what are you talking about?"

Lapis realizes her mistake.

"Forget I said that," she demands, "but the technology gems have, it's insane. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Peridot is trying to teach me, but it's not helping much."

The two silently admire the night sky again for a moment. The sound of the waves fills the air with a relaxed, steady whoosh.

"I wish I wasn't cracked," Lapis continues, "if I wasn't cracked, I'd be able to do so much more. I used to have wings before... what happened."

"What did happen?" Steven asks.

"Some things are best left in the past," Lapis replies, "trust me."

Steven wants to say he knows about the war and ask if there's any connection, but decides it best to stay quite.

Steven thinks about Lion. Lion may have something to do with Rose. There was something about Rose that he heard Peridot say. Something about cracked gems. What was it?

Steven tries really hard to think, he tries to remember everything Peridot said in the log entry he overheard. Then he remembers. Rose had healing tears. Maybe there's still some way to fix Lapis's crack.

Steven gets an idea. He decides that Lion has some relation to Rose.

"Hey Lapis?" He asks, "can you warp me somewhere?"

"No one else is here," Lapis replies, "it'll be alright if you warp yourself."

"Really?" Steven asks.

"Sure," Lapis replies, "give it a shot."

Steven goes inside, eager to test what he can do. He stands on the warp pad. He lifts his arms. Nothing happens. He tried again. No response. He concentrates on the smell of strawberries and the thought of the war, making sure his destination is clear, and he tries one last time. He warps to the strawberry field.

"Lion!" He calls.

Lion yawns, wakes up, and approaches Steven. "I don't know if there's any left," Steven explains, "but if there are, where can I get the tears of Rose Quartz?"

Lion picks up Steven onto his back and telaports. He takes Steven to a fountain. The fountain is overgrown, blocking the flow of whatever liquid it has.

Lion lets out a mighty roar, clearing the vines. A sparkly, clear liquid flows from the fountain. Steven examines it. "Is this Rose's tears?" Steven asks.

Lion gives off a soft roar to indicate it is.

Steven takes a water bottle from his pocket and pours it out. He then fills it with the tears.

Lion lifts Steven up again and returns to the strawberry field. "Thanks Lion," Steven smiles.

Lion yawns and returns to sleeping.

Steven warps back to Ocean Town. Lapis sits under the stars, admiring their beauty. The starts twinkle, like hundreds of water droplets, making Lapis want her wings back even more.

"Lapis!" Steven exclaims.

Lapis gets up. "You're back," she smiles, "where did you go?"

"I found a fountain," Steven avoids the detail about Lion, "a fountain or Rose's healing tears. I brought you some. You can fix your gem Lapis."

Steven hands Lapis the bottle.

"Really?" Lapis asks, "how does it work?"

They both realize they have no clue how to actually use the tears.

"Maybe try pouring it on your gem?" Steven asks.

"Why not?" Lapis asks.

She pours the tears on her gem, and immediately sprouts wings. Lapis is overjoyed.

"Steven!" She exclaims in a state of bliss, "thank you!"

"It was nothing," Steven smiles, "Lion made it easy."

"What Lion?" Lapis asks.

"Uhhh..." Steven replies, "I forget you mention the other gems, you forget about Lion."

"Fair enough," Lapis replies, "well, I'm gonna go for a quick flight. See ya later!"

Lapis soars into the night sky, she couldn't be happier.

Steven waits a bit for Lapis to come back, but as time goes on he decides to wait until morning. Steven goes to sleep, smiling, knowing Lapis can fly again.