Opal Part Three: Fusion VS Fusion

The air is still for a moment as Tourmaline's threat looms over Opal like a phantom haunting her dreams. Steven panics, desperate to prevent a shattering from occurring while Connie rushes over to him.

"Are you OK?" She demands, hugging Steven, so happy to have him back in her arms, safe and sound.

"I'm fine," Steven replies quietly so Tourmaline doesn't hear, "but we have to stop Tourmaline. I mean, she's gonna shatter Opal. Who even is that a fusion of?"

"We'll figure something out," Connie replies, "but for now we have to look out for ourselves. As for who-"

"It's us," Tourmaline overheard that last part, "Jasper and Sea. You two get somewhere safe. This us our fight."

"Tourmaline you can't-" Steven prepares to beg for Opal's life, but is quickly cut off.

"I won't let you get hurt again!" Tourmaline exclaims, "go! Now!"

Steven and Connie turn to one another, each hoping the other has a plan, but there is no such plan. There is only one option, and that's to run.

So they do, leaving the two fusions in the tense air, moments away from the intense battle by the beach on the street. The citizens of Ocean Town hide as storm clouds begins to roll in overhead, the sunlight now hidden by the shadow of war. With a loud crack, the rain begins to pour from the sky, and Opal speaks.

"You think we're going to just let you get away with this?" Opal glares, "you're just Homeworld scum."

"You Crystal Gems," Tourmaline hisses, "always going after Steven, well let me make this clear. Steven is why I came to Earth. Steven is my best friend. You gotta go through both parts of me to get to him!"

Opal pulls back her bow and replies, "if that's what it takes so be it."

Opal lets an arrow fly, which Tourmaline avoids with a dash to the left, turning around and charging Opal, but Opal is ready. She lets her bow leave her grasp, catches Tourmaline's horn, and throws her into the sky, spinning round and sending he careening into the deep blue sea.

She dusts off her hands, smiles, and begins to walk away.  As deep under the deep blue, a gem, light orange in color, swims at superhuman speeds, sending waves across the surface of the ocean's surface before emerging from the water and with leap into the air, stabs Opal with her horn.

Opal turns around, looking back at Tourmaline and sighing, "so, I guess this is it..."

"I have an idea!" Opal's other half exclaims, "trust me."

Opal unfuses to take Tourmaline two on one rather than poofing. Steven and Connie, watching from far away, realize that a shattering is inevitable.

"OK if we wanna do something it's gotta be now," Connie warns.

"OK," Steven demands, "what can we do? She called Stevonnie Rose right? So if we fuse, she won't know who we are..."

"Clever," Connie smiles, "well, I think we know what to do."

Tourmaline poofs Pearl as Amethyst strikes with her whips to no avail.

"Finally," Tourmaline laughs, "I can finish you off. A useless, defective quartz from this planet."

"Yeah and what's wrong with it!?!" Amethyst demands, "what's wrong with Earth!?!"

"Honestly," Tourmaline admits, "not much. I like it here, but you're a threat to Steven and you helped Rose kill my Diamond."

Tourmaline steadies her stance, tensing up her legs to charge as she roars, "I'll turn you into pebbles!"

She charges, and Amethyst closes her eyes expecting it all to end...

She opens them to a loud clang, and is greeted by an unfamiliar fusion, that she realizes can only be Steven and Connie?

How?

Well, who else could have that sheild?...