Road Trip

Author's Note: Sorry this took so long. Um... The reason for that is a very long story that involves a lot of working on different works and deciding to put said works on hold to focus on different subject matter. I do intend to write more of this, at least until the end of the "season"/the day of the Final Report. So... yeah. Enjoy.

29 days until final report.

The sun beats down on the trio as Greg looks forward from the gas station in the middle of nowhere.

"How far is Ocean town?" Pearl inquires.

"Oh we're almost there," Greg explains taking his eyes off a speck on the horizon as he turns to address the two gems.

Amethyst sighs and explains, "Greg this isn't going to work. These are gems from Homeworld. Don't you get that? Yellow Diamond? I know Rose mentioned at least once how dangerous they are."

"Weren't you two Homeworld gems at some point?" Greg inquires.

"I wasn't," Amethyst reminds, "But Pearl was yeah."

"Then they can be reasoned with," Greg explains, "Don't you two understand? This is my son. Say what you will about blood ties not holding value, I won't disagree, but he is my son of love, not of blood, and I have been a failure of a father to him for years. Since he was taken away. I will not fail again. I understand he may not see me as a a father at first, but I will try my best. No matter what..."

Steven sighs as he sits with his family in the living room, the three bubbled Crystal Gems on the table. Steven sighs, "And that's everything I know. Rose is my mom, Lion is... Lion, I know Greg is alive, and I'm why Blue Diamond came here."

"So Jasper," Lapis inquires, "What do we do?"

Jasper sighs, "Steven, Yellow Diamond sent us to kill you, but... I refuse to kill what I love as my child. Here's the plan. In 29 days I will use this device," Jasper reveals an emergency contact device that has a direct line to Yellow Diamond, "To contact Yellow Diamond. I will then make it look like I shatter you by throwing you into the screen. Obviously I won't really hurt you but it's to put on a show. Then, with the device destoryed I'll go back to Homeworld and simply leave you guys here."

"What about you?" Steven asked.

"Don't worry," Jasper assured him, "I have a plan."

Jasper pretended to look at a watch she wasn't even wearing and lied, "I've got to talk to those in Ocean Town about our arrangement. Be back soon kiddo."

Jasper rustled Steven's hair and walked off. She sat on the beach under the cloudy, black clouds. Thunder clapped in the distance, echoing, as if something dangerous approached. Was this Yellow Diamond? Was it... something else? She could not know but felt this sense of dread and fear as if battle was inevitable. Danger was inevitable as the storm approached Ocean Town...

"There is no plan, is there?" A voice, "Is there Jas?"

Jasper sighed as Sea sat next to her, "No... no there isn't."

"So you're gonna claim only you survived and leave?" Sea inquired, "Never to return?"

Jasper sighed, "Something like that."

"Jas," Sea pleaded, "You have to tell the others. They-"

Jasper punched the sand next to her, sending to flying into the sky before sighing and laying on her back, looking up at the clouds, "Argh. You can't tell anyone, Sea. Why should we endanger them? I'm the head of this mission. If I go alone I can lie and claim all the others were shattered and you can be happy with the rest of our... family."

"Jasper," Sea pleaded, "What if... The love I feel for someone isn't family love but... a different kind?"

"What do you mean?" Jasper inquired, "Actually, no. It doesn't matter. I need to ask you something first. No matter what happens in 29 days. No matter what it takes. Protect Steven in my place. No matter what. OK?"

"But I lo-" Sea began to confess only for a car horn to honk as a van pulled up on the beach. A fat, balding man exited the van with two gems.

He walked glared with death in his eyes at Jasper and demanded, "Where is Steven? Where's my son?"

"Wait you're..." Jasper explained...

"Greg Universe," Greg replied, "I'm here for my boy you kidnapped years ago..."