Jasper and Steven's Fun Day Off

257 days until final report.

Jasper sits, looking at the ocean, thinking about what to do about Steven. He hasn't done anything, and he's a good kid, but any relation to Rose Quartz...

Jasper tries not to think about it, but she can't ignore her mission, even if Steven is her friend. She has a mission, and it takes priority. Steven sees Jasper, and decides to talk to her.

"Hey Jasper," Steven greets.

"Hey kid," Jasper smiles kindly, "how you doing?"

"Preety good," Steven replies as he sits next to Jasper under the bright sun, "what are you doing down here?"

"Just thinking," Jasper replies, "you?"

"Kinda wish I had some pretzel bits," Steven replies, "you know, the bits? Place is closed today though, so decided to come down here."

"The bits," Jasper smiles, "sounds like some thing one would use to refer to french fries."

"I was thinking the same thing," Steven replies, "but there isn't a fry place here so, fry bits, as tasty as sounds, aren't an option. Hey, have you ever tried eating?"

"Tend to stay away from the humans," Jasper replies, "don't like them. They remind me of Rose."

"Come on," Steven replies getting up, "you always stick to yourself. Why not come down to the boardwalk with me and have some fun?"

Jasper thinks about it for a moment, looking at Steven. Steven smiles at her. She smiles back.

"How could I say no to that face?" She chuckles, "let's go."

Steven and Jasper head to the boardwalk. Steven is eager to enjoy the day, but Jasper still isn't comfortable near humans.

"Come on!" Steven smiles, "you gotta try this!"

Steven leads Jasper to a funnel cake stand. "One please," Steven smiles.

The man working at the stand complies, as part of the town's deal with Jasper, Lapis, and Peridot.

Steven hands the plate of funnel cake to Jasper.

"What do I do?" Jasper asks.

"You put it on your mouth and chew," Steven explains, "try it, I promise you'll like it."

Jasper examines the funnel cake. She looks at it from various angles and sniffs it before finally taking a small bite.

Jasper's eyes light up. "This is amazing!" She exclaims, "why didn't I try this sooner?"

Steven shrugs as Jasper wolfes down the rest of the funnel cake.

"What else do humans do?" Jasper asks.

"Oh," Steven smiles, "I know something you'll like."

Steven leads Jasper to an arcade.

"What is this place?" Jasper asks.

"Oh," Steven smiles, "you're gonna like this. Here, I know a machine you'll love."

Steven shows Jasper to a machine called a Punching Buddy.

"The goal is to punch it hard as you can," Steven smiles, "so it's something you'll like."

Jasper breaks the machine.

"Oh crap," she realizes that this isn't good, "time to go Steven!"

"Right behind you," Steven replies as the two dash out of the arcade.

"You're right," Jasper smiles, "this is fun! What else is there to do?"

"Well..." Steven smiles.

Jasper and Steven spend the rest of the day playing carnival games, eatting various sweets, and just enjoying the boardwalk. At the end of the day, Steven falls asleep. Jasper smiles and carries him back to his bed, and tucks him in. She's failed, she's gotten attached, but it's not like this kid has any relation to Rose Quartz, but he he does...

Once again, Jasper tries not to think about it.

"Jasper!" Peridot exclaims, "we got news from homeworld!"

"What is it?" Jasper asks.

"The Crystal Gems," Peridot explains, "they broke out one Earth cycle ago, and will be arriving here in about one-half cycle!"

Jasper looks back at Steven.

"We have to protect Steven," Jasper explains, "get ready. It's time to finish those rebels off once and for all..."