Prologue

“Mom, what’s going on?”

“Hush!  Hide.  Take your sister and go to the top room.”

“No!  What’s going on!”

My mother sighed.  “Destiny, hug me, now.  You too, fate.”

We did as told and she smiled.  “You girls are special.  You are original.  Don’t ever let anyone take that away from you.  You girls are different, and people will tell you that being different is wrong.  Do not listen to them.  People hate anything that does not conform.  This is a lot to take in, but I have faith in you girls.”  Tears came to her eyes and she stood up.  “Hurry, Destiny, take Fate up the stairs!  Hide until Lisa comes to get you.  No matter what you hear or see.”

And so I took my little five-year-old sister up the stairs and into a hidden room.  I found the crack in the floor and looked down at my mother, who I loved dearly.  She was the only parent I had, because my father had left us when I was three.  Now I was eight, though, and I didn’t realize at the time that what was about to happen would change my life forever.

There was a pounding on the door and my mother smoothed out her dress and went to answer it.  However, that must have taken too long because then men at the door kicked it open.  Fate was digging her little nails into my arm.  “What’s happening?”

“Shhh.  Momma wants us to be quiet.”

The two men who came in were big and they wore black suits.

One of them said my mother’s name.  “Alyssa Richards?”

“Yes?”

“We have a warrant for your arrest.”

“On what grounds?”

“You know why Psychic loon.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Shut up!”  And with that, he put handcuffs on my mother’s wrists and started pulling her out.

“Where is momma going?”

“Shhh!”

“Gentlemen, I’m sure this is all just a misunderstanding.”

“Are you Alyssa Richards?”

“Yes.”

“Then there’s no confusion.”

And despite my mother’s struggles, they took her out the door, and I couldn’t see where they took her, but I had a feeling that I would never see my mother again,

[A/N:  So I think I'll change the title soon, but her's the prologue.  Are there any title suggestions for me?  If there are, please comment.  And vote anyway!