Chapter 10: The dresses

Chapter 10

“Hey, sleepy-head!  Wake up!  It’s not your birthday anymore, so don’t expect breakfast again!”

I sat up in bed to see Fate jumping around my room, dressed for the day.  I glanced over at the clock and groaned when I read nine o’seven.

“Ten more minutes,” I groaned as I pulled the covers up over my head.

“Fine!  But I want to be out of here in an hour!”

“Out where?”

“Dress shopping, duh!”

“Ugh!  Do we have to?”

“Yes!  You promised!  Mom always said to keep your promises!  You wouldn’t want to disappoint her, would you?”

She left then, and I got up out of bed, knowing I couldn’t sleep, knowing what I was going to be forced to spend the day doing.

What a way to conform.  I swear, I’ll get a black dress and cover it in neon paint!

I quickly got dressed, not caring what I put on, and grabbed my black bag.  “Okay, Fate, let me grab some breakfast, and we can go.”

I took my time scrambling some eggs and cooking up some flour tortillas, making two breakfast burritos, adding salsa and cheese.  I swear, there’s nothing better sometimes.

“Okay, so, where should we look first?”

I looked up at Fate.  “I’d say the mall is a good place to start,” I replied between bites.

“You’re not going to take this seriously, are you?”

“No, probably not.”

“So, I’m thinking blue or yellow for me.  Maybe like a purple or white for you?”

“Whatever.  You can pick anything you want for me, just as long as I can afford it, and it’s not pink.  It floor length.”

I hated pink floor length dresses.  They were so over done, you know?

“Okay!”  She seemed to brighten up at the idea of dressing me up like a doll, and I considered taking back what I said.

When I finished eating, I put my plate in the sink, and Fate started pulling me to the door.  “Bye, Lisa!  We have the keys!  See you in a few hours!”

A few hours?  What have I gotten myself into?

When we got to the mall, Fate rushed me to the first store she could find.  It was a smallish boutique called Crystal’s dresses.  We looked around, and Fate made me try on a few dresses, but none of them “worked for me” so we skipped over to the next store, a Penny’s.

She dragged me to the dresses, and quickly found a yellow halter, that even I liked for her.  She tried it on, and I couldn’t help but smile at how good it looked.

It was a pale yellow on the skirt, which was just above knee length in the front, but was a few inches longer in the back.  The top was a darker, brighter yellow for the top, with the thin halter strap coming out from the middle.  It was so bright and happy, it was perfect for her.

It was fifty dollars, so she could barely afford it.

Then she moved on to me.  She made me try on a blue halter, that was nothing like hers.  It had a sparkly ring thingy where the halter straps attached to the dress.  She didn’t like it, so then she made me try on a green and white polka dot dress that was mid thigh, much to my dismay, but luckily, she agreed that it wasn’t the right look for me.