Chapter 6: The Party

Chapter 6

The rest of the week was uneventful.  Fate tried to get me to go to the mall and buy something to wear to the party, but I voted against it.  Derek talked to me, asking if I wanted to go with him, or by myself, and I said I would just see him there.

It was the day of the party, after school, and Fate was making me dress up a little nicer than usual in a navy blue tank top and black cardigan with three quarter sleeves.  It was the sort of outfit people were wearing in my vision; not fancy or nice.  Just the sort of thing I could blend in in.  Well, except there was my hair, but I’d deal.

“So, can I come?”

I stared at my little sister in shock.  “You’re seriously asking that?”  She nodded and so I continued.  “No way, Jose.”

“Ugh!  Please?”

“No!  You’re fifteen!  I’m not taking you to a big party where everyone’s drinking.  Not a good environment for you.  I don’t even want to go myself.”

“Well, then.  Here’s an idea!  Why don’t I go instead of you?”

“Nope!”  I popped the p, and then Lisa came in before Fate could say anything else.

“Well, Destiny, you look nice.  You have plans?”

Crap!  I didn’t want to tell my guardian about the party.

“Um, yeah.  It’s a really long story, but I have to go save a life.”  I looked at my cheap Walmart digital watch, which read six o’clock.  “And I have to get going.”  I picked up the leather purse Fate was making me take, but Lisa stopped me at the bedroom door.

She looked at me in surprise.  “Save a life?  Let me guess; a vision?”

I nodded and she moved her hand.  “Okay, then what are you doing?”

“Um, see, in the dream, this guy at school was dying at a party.”  I mumbled the last three words, hoping Lisa couldn’t hear, but from the look on her face, I could tell it was an unsuccessful attempt.  Before she could say anything else, I continued.  “But he was still alive!  But no one called 911.  So I’m going to stay sober all night and call for an ambulance.”

She frowned.  “I’m proud of you trying to help a classmate, but I’m not comfortable with you going to a huge party.  I’m assuming there’ll be alcohol.”

I nodded timidly and she continued.  “I’m sorry, but your mother wouldn’t want you going to that kind of party.”  I frowned because I knew she was right.

“Lisa, wouldn’t you have done anything to save my mom?”

She looked taken aback.  “Of course.  But this guy, isn’t your Alyssa.”

I shook my head.  “No.”  I thought about what Fate had said to me Tuesday morning.  “But I would have done anything to save Mom.  Why can’t I sacrifice one night to go to one party to save a guy at school?”

She looked at me, defeated.  “Okay.  But as soon as it happens, and he’s safely at the hospital, come home.  Okay?”

I smiled and hugged Lisa in joy.  “Got it!”

Of course, she had made me eat a little something before I left, so I stuck a couple burritos in the microwave and ate them quickly, then I grabbed the car keys, and plugged the Wood’s address into the GPS app I had downloaded after getting lost on Monday.

The drive was fast.  It only took me about ten minutes to get there, and when I did, I swear, the house was bigger than I’d remembered it being in the vision.