Pleasant Company

ANNA

"Isabellianna, daughter of Roarke." Odin spoke my name in front of the room of people. My cheeks were hot with embarrassment, I kept my head bowed as I knelt in front of him. "You are a brave warrior, a smart ally, and a kind friend to my family and my kingdom. I ask you to forgive my father's mistakes, to hold nothing against the people of Asgard, our shame of letting your magnificent species die out is burden enough. In return you will be recognized as a diplomat, I grant you safe passage in Asgard and a shelter under my own roof. Whatever you desire I shall not deny so long as it is just and in my power. Rise, Lady Isabellianna!" As he addressed me for the last time and I stood, the room full of people cheered. 

Frigga and her daughters came over to congratulate me and I embraced each of them in a hug. There was still sadness lingering from earlier in the day but they masked it well. 

"Will you sit with us at the feast?" Illain, the youngest sister asked hopefully. Time on Asgard was different, so she might have been seventy Earth years old, but looks to be about thirteen.

"Now, my sweet, you know she will have to be seated at your father's right hand." Frigga told her daughter.

I quirked an eyebrow. "Feast?" I asked.

Ygritte rolled her eyes. "There's always a feast." I smiled at her, she reminded me of Natasha, firey yet reserved when need be.

I looked to Illain. "Well your father did say he would grant me whatever I desire, and I would love to sit next to you during the feast." I smiled and she grinned back. 

__________ÅÅÅÅÅ__________ 

It was just how it sounded, a feast. Different kinds of food, and a lot of it. I sat next to Odin for a few moments after he made his opening remarks and a toast then I asked him if I could change the seating arrangements. So now I sat next to Illain as she chatted to me about her horse.

I ate the food that was prepared for me and drank the wine that was poured for me. I haven't been treated like this since my parents were alive almost two centuries ago, it was a lot to take in. Not that I was complaining, everything was delicious and I was happy. Just a little overwhelmed.

"Chew with your mouth closed, Illain." Agatha, the oldest, most responsible, reprimanded her sister. Her blue eyes then fell on me. "You're going to fit in so nicely here, Isabellianna. Like a jigsaw piece. Now, with you here our picture can finally be completed." She smiled.

My heart leapt in my chest. "You don't know how much that means to me." To be accepted, and welcomed like family. I thought S.H.I.E.L.D. was my family, but they never treated me like it. Just another Agent whose life was expendable. I loved my S.H.I.E.L.D. family and except for a few I'm sure that love was unrequited. Here I feel loved, I see their auras are full of love and acceptance. 

I look to Frigga who was sitting on Odin's left side at the long table and find she's already looking at me. We smile at each other and I know I am where I am meant to be. Part of me will always be with the people of Earth. Nat, Clint, Maria, Fury.... Steve. Those are only a handful of people, here I am surrounded by people who care for me.

Illain suddenly stood next to me and my head snapped in her direction. "Isabellianna you must dance with me! This is my favorite song!" She pulled me up out of my seat.

"But I don't know how." I argued with an uneasy laugh.

She grinned up at me, pulling me along to the middle of the room where other people had already gathered to dance. "I'll lead!" She insisted, and I couldn't bring myself to deny her this one dance. We began and I watched her feet but I was still a stumbling mess. She lifted my head to look into her eyes. "Just follow my lead, and your feet will follow."

I nodded and took a deep breath. I caught the rhythm and soon I was dancing like a pro. I giggled at the girl holding my hands and she smiled back, singing along to the song. We glided over the dance floor with not a care in the world. Our long dresses floating along with us. I was happy.

The song was over too soon for my taste but when the music stopped and changed we stopped dancing and hugged each other. The grin on my face seemed permanent. "I haven't had this much fun since... ever." I confessed to her. "You're a great leader."

She led us back to our seats. "I'm glad to be of service." She said cheerily.

I silently thought if I could ever get bored of this life, or worse- would this life get bored of me? I shook my head, I wouldn't let negative thoughts ruin my good time.

Although, soon I do get tired of the feast. The loud chatter, the people getting wine drunk. I turn to Ygritte who is being pretty quiet. "How long do these feasts usually last?" I ask her quietly, not wanting to offend anyone.

She stroked her chin in thought. "Hmm, maybe a day or two. You can leave when you want, I have to go when my sisters want to." She said and my eyes widened. She chuckled. "That's nothing, at the end of a lost battle it's three days, at the end of a victorious one its a week. Weddings get a fortnight." She explained.

I groaned and rolled my eyes. "I wont be getting married here then."

The blonde tom-boy smirked. "Well if it was your wedding you wouldn't attend the feast for long. You and your husband would retire to your chambers to make a little lord." 

I couldn't control my flushed cheeks. "Oh," Was all I could get out, and she giggled.

"I wouldn't speak ill of weddings, either, you might break a few people's hearts, some who are at this feast now." she spoke as if she were uninterested.

My eyebrows raised. "Who?" I asked looking around. Someone here liked me? A God liked me? "I've only been here a couple weeks." I said confused.

She fixed the gold necklace at her collar. "It only takes a day to find interest in someone." She spoke softly. "Red hair, dark blue cloak. Near the door." She pointed out for me. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, he was talking to a friend, but every now and again he glanced at me. "Gunter, Son of Pod, a rich man who lets his money do the talking. He is used to getting what he wants for the right price."

 He was handsome, but if he was how she described then I wouldn't let his looks sway me. I began to eaves drop on he and his friend's conversation. They were talking about... me! I listened harder.

"I bet ten thousand crowns you wont go over and get her to dance with you." His friend taunted.

He narrowed his eyes. "Make it twenty thousand, my friend, and we have a deal."

"Twenty thousand it is." He held out his hand for Gunter to shake. 

I stopped watching and listening then. but soon after Gunter was at my side, smiling like a fool. "Lady Isabellianna. It is a pleasure to have you here in Asgard allow me to introduce myself. I'm-"

"Gunter, Son of Pod, richest man in Asgard." I cut him off and faked my impressed tone.

"Ah, so you've heard of me." His tone showed his pride. "My reputation precedes me."

I nodded. "And I also overheard your bet with your friend. And since you are the richest man in Asgard, I don't think twenty thousand crowns will put you in debt when you lose that bet."

He didn't miss a beat. "You're not in a dancing mood, then. How about a walk by the shore, we can watch the stars dance in the night sky." He spoke poetically, with a smirk on his face.

I mirrored his smirk. "You can watch me as I walk out of the hall and retire to my room." I stood and he took a step back.

"I suppose permission for my eyes to grace you will satisfy me... for now." He spoke playfully.

"Then I suppose you would have to seek me out to know satisfaction again." I started to walk past him but stopped when we were shoulder to shoulder. "Make sure its not under the terms of a bet next time." I whispered to him and then took my leave.