The Dark

I didn't sleep at all that night. I strapped together my armor and paced my room, my hands rested on the hilts of the daggers at my waist. My green hair was up in a bun, a few short strands fell on my forehead and every few minutes I brushed them out of the way. I checked life signatures every minute; Thor's, Odin, Loki in his cell, if I focused hard enough I could make out Sigyn in her home upon the hill. It pained me not to be able to feel my babies, but I knew Sofi and Lee would be safe, Sigyn's house was far away from Jane and the fray to come. But what of me. Of Loki? Would we be safe? At least I was able to tell them goodbye, Loki might be able to escape Odin's wrath if we got caught, but I doubt the King would show me his mercy. I've seen the way he looks at me, after marrying Loki, after Frigga... he has little love for me now, and after what Heimdall is going to do, he will have little love for all Medjordians. I just hope he would show mercy on my babies, as he did on the children in the past, my ancestors.

As the time grew nearer I grew more nervous. Jane rose from her slumber, it was my time to move. I made my way to Thor's hall as he made his way to the dungeons. I knocked on the tall door of the bedroom I took the liberty of opening it as soon as I felt her move towards the door. She was near the food cart, a sweet roll in her hand.

"Oh, you're... punctual." She noted, still chewing.

"I take it Thor has filled you in?"

She nodded. "You don't want to grab a bite or anything before we leave?" She gestured at the platter filled with cuts of ham, eggs, sausage, and various rolls. The salted ham smell was already making me queasy. I guess she understood the unease because she dropped the roll she was holding and dusted her hands as she walked over to meet me. "Let's get going then."

We quietly walked through the castle, to anyone who passed us we were just two ladies going for a stroll. Asgardians cleaned debris around us and I couldn't contain the feeling of hatred that boiled within me at the woman who walked beside me. I clenched my jaw to try and suppress the feeling.

Sif met us in the hall and led us to the brothers, I felt relaxed as I laid eyes on my husband. Next to me, I felt the heat of hate rise in Jane. Her arm raised and connected with Loki's cheek. "That's for New York." She stated with a huff.

Loki met eyes with me and told me to stay calm. "You sure know how to pick them, Thor." He said with a smirk. "But how do you suppose we get to the bifrost?"

I sensed Odin on his way to the rainbow bridge, guards followed. I gave a nod to the blond brother. "We aren't taking the bifrost." He spoke just as passing guards noticed us, panic arose. "Sif?" He called to the warrior.

She nodded and we turned to rush away. I didn't see, but I heard as she stopped my husband with her drawn sword and warned him not to betray Thor. I nearly rolled my eyes. Next we met with Volstagg in the great hall. We were ushered into the Dark Elves' ship and Thor tried to start it as the warrior outside fought off at least ten guards. I got anxious as the guards closed in. I spotted the button that said 'start' in the language and pressed it, the machine whirred to life and Thor surrendered piloting to me. I knew the plan, cause as much damage as possible make a spectacle. Thor attended to Jane as Loki bickered with him. I focused on destruction and dodging the Asgardian munitions fired at us. I turned to Thor and nodded. In the middle of Loki asking me why I agreed to such a horrible plan Thor threw him off of the ship. Thor proceeded to jump off and onto Fandral's seaplane with Jane. I set the foreign ship to autopilot and jumped off myself, flying down to the seaplane.

Loki was steering and he gave me a wink as I landed. "May the best Pilot win." He smirked. Just then, we were fired upon by a lone seaplane patrol.

"Fandral," Thor spoke to the other blond.

Fandral seized the anchoring rope and fancily made his way onto the other seaplane. "Any other visitors on their way, my love?" Loki asked me.

"None," I replied.

Loki smirked as he headed straight into the face of a cliff. "Are you mad?!" Thor called to his brother.

"Possibly," My husband whispered in reply, his grin growing larger. The cliff got closer I held on to Loki and braced myself. We flew straight through a narrow crack and I saw the mystical glowing like the bifrost along with sparks flying as the seaplane scraped the walls of the crevice. I felt my body shift as it did during bifrost travel and suddenly we were shot out on a dark planet. This is where evil came to breed. Loki's whimsical "Ta-da!" was the only thing that warmed me on the cold, dead world. I found myself shifting closer to my husband. He slowed the plane and at a cruise we passed the dust-covered rubble of Svartalfheim. The wreckage must have been beautiful once, cities, castles, large works of architectural art. My mind traveled to earth to the ancient Roman Colosseum. It was beautiful once, I remembered it was Bor, father of Odin who warred against the Dark Elves, it was he who brought their home to ruin. Could Asgard fall? Could Earth? I shuddered at the thought, my husbands voice snapped me back to reality.

"What I could do with the power that flows through those veins." He lamented staring down at Jane, passed out in Thor's arms. I elbowed his ribs.

"It would consume you." Thor replied.

My husband scoffed "She's holding up alright." he looked away. "For now," he added.

"She's strong in ways you'd never know." Thor argued.

"Say goodbye," Loki urged. He was being sincere, and I had to agree with him, her frail body barely fought against the evil that flowed in her.

Thor looked down at his love. "Not this day." 

Loki stood from his seated position next to me. "This day, the next, a hundred years, it's nothing. It's a heart beat. You'll never be ready. The only woman whose love you've prized will be snatched from you." Loki's words were harsh but they were true. It was why I left Steve all those years ago, I never thought his scrawny body would make it to twenty years, let alone a hundred. But maybe, hearing Steve's story gave Thor hope, maybe he hoped Midgardians would find the secret to longer life so he could live out his days with his love.

"And will that satisfy you?" Thor asked bitterly.

Loki puffed out his chest, I could see he was hurt that his brother would suggest such a thing. "Satisfaction is not in my nature."

"Surrender not in mine."

"The Son of Odin." 

Thor took offence to the remark, this time he stood. "No, not just of Odin! You think you alone were loved of mother? You had her tricks, but I had her trust!" His voice was raised making me wince.

"Trust." Loki scoffed. "Was that her last expression? Trust? When you let her die!"

"What help were you in your cell?"

"Who put me there? Who put me there?!" Loki challenged, and Thor came over to grab his brother. There were tears in my husbands eyes, but I knew well enough not to get in the middle of this familial spat.

"You know damn well! You know damn well who!" Thor raised his fist and I surely thought he would deck Loki but his aura rang with realization. "She wouldn't want us to fight."

"Well, she wouldn't exactly be shocked." Loki smirked and I saw a smile creep on Thor's features. 

Thor turned away from us. "I wish I could trust you."

"Trust my rage." Loki whispered. I reached out silently, touching his arm in reassurance, he made no eye contact with me.