Clean Up

"I wouldn't be able to stay on Asgard, not if Heimdal is exiled, not if you're not alive Loki, there is nothing for me there. To keep appearances I will have to leave."

"You will go with your brother on Vanaheim? "

"No, my other family."

"What of our children? You will just whisk them away to that terrible world without another thought? Don't I get a say in this? Don't they?"

"I will not lie to them, and I will let them choose who they want to stay with. But you don't get a say, Loki. To every one but us, our family, you will be dead. You said it yourself, I'm a bad liar. I can't live a lie every day and that's what I would be doing if I stayed here."

"You'd be living a lie on Earth, too."

"At least it would be my lie."

"Don't leave me, Izbell."

"You got what you wanted, Loki, You got your throne. This is just one of those situations where you can't have your cake and eat it too."

"As king I will make the rules, I can eat all the cakes I want."

"But you won't be king. Odin will."

"Please don't leave me."

"I have to. I don't want to. But I have to."

I kneeled in front of my children in my bedroom. I explained everything to them, and awaited their response. They were about the size of Midgardian ten year olds now. The convergence and Malekith's dark energy made them grow while I was away.

"So Daddy will stay here, but if we stay we have to pretend he's grandpa?" Sjofna asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

It was all very confusing. "That is correct." I replied. "And if you come with me to earth you can't tell anyone Daddy is alive."

"Daddy really went to Midgard and hurt people?" Litre asked.

"He did but he was under the control of someone else." I felt so guilty putting this all on them, they were so tiny but I could tell their minds were whirring. "Remember that neither choice is final, staying here or accompanying me, it's just easier for us to prepare." I was so close to telling them to just come with me. But they deserved a choice.

Sjofna crossed her arms over her chest. "I think we're going to stay here." She decided.

I started to nod but Litre's head whipped around at his sister. "But I want to go with Mommy." His eyes were wide.

Sjofna shook her head. "We can always visit her, this is our home, Lee."

"I'm going with Mommy."

"We have to stick together, and I'm staying here so you have to stay with me." Sjofna's voice was confident but in her eyes I saw she pleaded.

"As much as I would like for you two to stay together; you are each your own person and I know wherever you choose to go you will be surrounded by people who love you." I decided to interject.

"But Mommy, we've always been together." My daughter pouted. "Oh, why can't we all just stay here?"

I was so caught up in the conversation I hadn't noticed Loki approaching, he was in my bedroom dropping his Odin illusion before I could protest. "You fool," I hissed and checked to make sure no Einherjar guards were around I only noticed Ygritte making her way away from the hall. Siblings in crime those two.

My children were happy to see their father, he kneeled and they jumped in his lap and he embraced them. "My darlings." He whispered as he held them, he looked up at me. "I had Ygritte listening in. I couldn't stay away." His eyes asked mine for forgiveness.