Chapter 3

"This is taking forever. Why didn't we just go with the shorter plan?" Kol complained from his seat in the chair as I paced back and forth in front of the fireplace. Martha had been in the library for almost two hours and still nothing.

"You heard Martha. My mother's spirit would have fought her."

"But at least we could have gotten it done quicker. She can unlink your ring and then we kill your mother. Simple as that."

Faking a laugh, I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, right. It's far from simple. Knowing my mother, she would have put up one hell of a fight. Not to mention she's extremely powerful. She's a direct descendant from the most powerful witch family in history. She probably would have won that fight."

"Wait, so if she's a direct descendant, then doesn't that mean you are too?" Nik asked, taking a sip from his glass.

I shrugged a shoulder, "Yes. But when I was a kid, my mother always told me that I would learn how to use my magic when I was old enough. As I got older, I started losing my magic. When I asked what was happening, my mother said she was protecting me and everyone else by hiding my magic from me, burying it deep inside me where I can't access it. Then she turned me. Now I really have no way of accessing my magic. Even if I could, I have no idea how to use or control it." I sighed, plopping down on the couch next to Nik. Reaching over, I grabbed the glass out of his hand, downing the last of the whiskey, before handing the glass back. He raised his eyebrows at me. "Sorry. I really needed that." A small smile appeared on his face as he leaned forward to put the glass on the coffee table. Leaning my head on his shoulder, I closed my eyes, feeling his fingers playing with my hair. I sighed, opening my eyes and staring into the fireplace. "I really hope this works. I need to be rid of that horrid woman." When I said that, a dull ache appeared in my forehead, slowly getting stronger until it was unbearable. I quickly moved away from Nik, clutching my head. It felt like it was about to crack open. Dark images flashed through my mind as I let out a small scream. As soon as it had started, it stopped and I was left sweaty and shaking.

Slowly opening my eyes, I looked up into Nik's face, "Ellie? What just happened?"

I shook my head slowly, pulling my hands away from my head, "I have no idea." Hurried footsteps grew louder as someone entered the room.

"It's done," Martha announced from the doorway. Kol, Nik, and I looked at each other before Kol rushed down to the basement. He was back within seconds, a look of relief on his face.

"She's dead."

"Really?" I asked, unable to believe it.

He nodded, "she's nothing more than a pile of ash on the floor."

"Unfortunately, the same goes for your ring," Martha added, but I ignored her comment.

"She's gone. She's really gone. It's over," I muttered, eyes wide. A smile slowly made its way onto my face as I wrapped my arms around Nik's neck, hugging him tight. Letting go, I rushed over to Kol, doing the same. Pulling away from Kol, I looked over at Martha, "Thank you, so much. You have no idea how much pain you just saved me from." She gave me a small smile as I went back over to Nik, lacing my fingers with his. "We don't have to hide anymore," I told him and he leaned down, pressing his lips to mine. Pulling away, I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him as tight as I could.

Guys! I almost forgot to update! Good thing I remembered! ;)

So, Maeve is dead. Thoughts?

My  character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.