Chapter 26

"Fine. You win. I'm nothing," I heard Tyler say as I got closer to the Gilbert house. "Now, save her. Please." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion and I sped up to the door.

"I'm sorry, mate. I didn't quite catch that," Nik spoke. I tried to take a step into the house, but found that I was blocked by a barrier. The house had changed ownership since the last time I was let in.

"Please save her life." Tyler was getting frustrated. Craning my neck around as far as I could, I saw Caroline sitting in an armchair, a bite wound on her shoulder. My eyes widened as the realization of what had happened hit me.

"See, now I think you're just telling me what I want to hear. I mean, you did call me pathetic earlier. And wouldn't it be more pathetic of me to help now, knowing that hours ago, you announced you plan to kill me in a manner in which you're still debating because you want it to have a certain amount of flair?"

"Goddammit, Nik!" I exclaimed from the doorway, making them all turn their heads in surprise. "Just heal her already, would you?"

"Not yet, kitten."

"Nik –," I started, but Tyler cut me off.

"I'll be your slave again. I'll do whatever you want. Just help her!"

"No." I stared at him, unable to process what he'd just said.

"Get me out of here," Caroline croaked. "I can't even look at him." Tyler and Caroline left, brushing past me as I continued to stare at Nik, who avoided my eyes.

"Why, Nik?" I asked quietly. "We've talked about this! You promised you wouldn't hurt my friend! And now look what you've done! Caroline is going to die because you're being a selfish jerk!" My frustration had grown, all traces of sadness and disbelief were gone.

"I was angry. Tyler was antagonizing me and I wanted to get back at him for it," he explained.

"So you hurt him! Not someone I care about!" I yelled.

"They killed Kol," he stated quietly.

"What?" I asked taken aback by his statement.

"Jeremy and Elena. They killed him. Stefan knew about it." Taking a seat on the couch, he rubbed his hands over his face. "They let me into the house, but then Bonnie trapped me in the living room."

"Are you sure they –?" He nodded his head over to the dining room, where a giant lump lay covered by a green tablecloth.

"I watched it happen."

"Oh god, Nik. I am so sorry." Tears came to my eyes and I sat down in front of the door. It was quiet for a few minutes before Nik spoke up again.

"Where were you?"

"The Salvatore house. Damon got out of his cell and snapped my neck," I growled.

"How did you get out?"

"Someone left the door open for me. When I woke up, it was just barely ajar." I paused. "Where is everyone?"

"Out looking for the cure. They have everything they need."

"Except for the sword?"

"Except for the sword."

***

I watched from the porch swing as the sun rose in the sky. It had been a couple hours since Tyler had taken Caroline home and I had found out about Kol. I still couldn't believe he was gone. I had just talked to him a couple days ago. Rejected him, actually. I wish I could go back, fix things, so that he wouldn't have left angry. So that he wouldn't have felt murderous and gone on a suicide mission. Was it my fault? My thoughts were interrupted by Tyler carrying Caroline up the porch steps.

"How is she?" I asked softly. He simply shook his head, continuing on into the house. I got up, moving over to the door so I could see in. Tyler set her down on the floor.

"You want to be in control, Klaus? Here. Now you get to be in control of her life. If you want her to die, fine. But then you can sit here and watch her die yourself." Tyler left out the back door and I watched as Nik took a few steps forward, sitting on the coffee table.

"Nothing personal, love. If I heal you, that means victory for him. Don't worry. It won't be long now." Caroline began crying and I felt the tears come to my eyes.

"Nik," I whispered, pleading. He ignored me.

"If you don't feed me your blood, I'll die," Caroline choked out, her breathing labored. She had managed to get herself over to the couch.

"Then you'll die and Tyler will have learned his lesson the hard way."

"How could you do this to him? To his mom? To me?"

"I'm a thousand years old. Call it boredom," he suggested.

"I don't believe you."

"Fine. Then maybe it's because I'm pure evil and I can't help myself."

"You're not pure evil, Nik. You've met my mother. She is pure evil," I called, sitting by the doorway.

"It's because you were hurt. Which means there is a part of you that is human." Nik went over to her, sitting on the coffee table again.

"How could you possibly think that?"

"Because I've seen it. I've seen how you are with Ellie. When you're with her, you are an entirely different person. I've caught myself wishing that I could forget all the horrible things that you've done, for her sake. She's my friend and I don't want to lose her because of issues I have with you," Caroline admitted and I felt a small smile form on my face.

"But you can't. Can you?"

"I know how much you love her. And anybody capable of love is capable of being saved."

I heard Nik draw in a shaky breath, "you're hallucinating."

"I guess I'll never know," she mumbled, her eyes shutting.

"Nik," I breathed, eyes widening. "You have to do it now." Sighing, he lifted her into a sitting position, biting into his wrist, and holding it to her lips.

Only a few more chapters left, guys!

Who here has bought tickets for the Wattpad Convention in Toronto? I wish I could, but it's on the other side of the country.

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.