Chapter 20

"Looks like a giant snowflake," I heard Stefan comment and I looked up to see him standing on the other side of the room, watching Nik paint. Halting my fingers, I closed the lid to the piano keys, getting up.

"I prefer to think of it as an expression of post-modernism," Nik replied, not taking his eyes off the painting in front of him.

"In other words, it's a snowflake," I whispered as I came into Nik's art room and took a seat on the couch. Stefan chuckled, making Nik shoot us both a glare.

"It's my donation to the Winter Wonderland charity event." Our attention was caught by one of Nik's hybrids, Adrian, entering the room.

"You said it was urgent?"

"Yes, take this to the Mystic Grill immediately."

"You want me to be a delivery guy?" I raised my eyebrows at him, surprised by his response.

"What I want is for you to do whatever I say without the attitude." The hybrid nodded, going over and lifting the painting off the easel. "Be careful with that, it's still wet."

"Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, you know," Stefan reported.

"Oh, he knows. He was there when it happened," I chimed in.

"What is the point of my hybrids being sired to me if I can't maximize on the benefits of free labor?" Nik narrowed his eyes at Stefan, "What are you doing here?"

"Elena is sired to Damon," he sighed, taking a step into the room.

"I intuited as much," I commented.

"Which means I need to find the cure now more than ever and yet here you are making post-modern snowflakes." I shot Nik a look, one which was unnoticed by either of them.

"I've delivered. I retrieved the hunter's sword from Italy, which we'll use to decipher the map hidden in the hunter's mark." Nik went back over to his easel, cleaning the paint off his hands. "You're the one who's supposed to deliver the hunter and his mark."

"Well, Jeremy is the hunter and he has to keep killing vampires to complete his mark, but we can't quite figure out how to keep him from killing us."

"Sounds like quite the chore, which is why I feel perfectly justified in doing a little charity work."

"Or maybe you're lying about having found the sword," Stefan accused and I raised an eyebrow.

"Why would he lie to you, Stefan?" I questioned, getting up from my seat. "We're in this together." Nik went into the other room, Stefan and I following. Standing against the wall was a large safe. Nik unlocked it, pulling the sword out.

"The hilt acts as a cipher which we'll use to decode the marks on Jeremy's tattoo when he's killed enough vampires to complete it." Setting the sword down on the coffee table, Nik took a seat in the closest chair, propping his feet up. I sat on the arm, watching as Stefan picked up the sword to examine it.

"I heard you moved out of your house," Nik commented and Stefan looked up at him, surprised.

"How did you –?"

"Caroline tells Ellie things, Ellie tells me. It's a bit of a martyr move, don't you think?"

"I'm not here to bond, Klaus," Stefan said, setting the sword down.

"Oh, on the contrary, I think right now I'm the best friend you've got."

Checking my watch, I stood up, "As nice as it is talking to you, Stefan, your 'best friend' and I need to get ready for the charity event." Stefan left, leaving me with Nik, who stood, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind.

"Before we get ready, when do I get my special Christmas gift?" I turned in his arms so that I was facing him.

"Later," I told him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I don't know if I can wait that long, kitten. I think we should do it now," he suggested.

"Nope. We'll do it later."

"How about just a little sneak preview?"

"Not gonna happen," I smirked, releasing myself from his grip and walking away.

"Oh, come on, kitten. Not even a tiny peek at what you'll be wearing?"

"Nope."

Good things are about to happen ;)

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.