Chapter 24

I finished playing the song, moving my hands away from the piano keys and leaning back. Clapping echoed through the foyer and I looked over towards the front door, seeing Kol standing there. I closed the lid to the keys, shifting so that I could face him. "Kol? What are you doing here?" I asked, standing from my seat.

"Nik wanted me to come home, so here I am," he said, moving toward me.

I crossed my arms over my chest, raising an eyebrow, "Yeah, right. You and I both know that's not even close to being true."

"You got me," he grinned.

"Why are you really here, Kol?" I asked, turning serious. He hesitated, coming to a stop in front of me.

"I'm here because of you. Because I can't stop thinking about you," he admitted, gently moving the hair away from my face. I sighed, grabbing onto his hand and slowly moving it away.

"Kol, don't. What we did that night was a mistake. I shouldn't have let it happen; I was sad and vulnerable and you were there to comfort me. That's all it was; it didn't mean anything."

"If it was a mistake, then why can't I stop thinking about it?" He took a small step forward and started to lean in. Knowing what he was trying to do, I stepped around him, shaking my head.

"I don't know, but you need to stop. Nothing can happen between us again, okay? I'm with Nik. I love Nik.

"You don't think you could love me?" He took a few steps closer and I took one back.

"I didn't say that," I told him, quietly. "Look, Kol, I fully believe that there is someone who will love you the way I love Nik. There is someone out there that will love you like that. And they are just waiting for you to show up. But it's not me. I'm not it. I'm sorry." I stared at him, waiting for a response, but it never came. Instead, he walked out the front door, slamming it on his way. Letting out a sigh, I ran my hands through my hair, looking around to make sure no one had overheard.

***

"This is my place, Nik. I don't appreciate you invading my privacy like some kind of peeping Tom," Rebekah scolded, securing her robe.

"We didn't know he'd be here," I told her, nodding my head in Stefan's direction.

"Well, I apologize for breaking up this sordid little tryst, but I do have some urgent business. Or have you forgotten that our paranoid brother Kol is running around with a white oak stake and homicide on the brain?" Nik moved into the room, but I kept my place, leaning against the door frame.

"He tried to kill me last night. I didn't forget," she growled.

"Yes, well, unfortunately, he seems to have absconded with my set of daggers."

"Oh, poor Nik. However will you get your way without your precious daggers? They were so handy when you wanted to end a conversation with one of us."

"Kol's irrational fear of Silas has pushed him off the edge. We need to put him down before he does any more damage. Now, I know you have the last dagger and I know you have some white ash, so hand it over," Nik demanded.

"And leave myself unprotected?" She chuckled sarcastically. "You can file that request under 'no chance in hell.' Be gone by the time I've showered. Lurkers aren't welcome here." Rebekah walked into her bathroom, slamming the door shut. The sound of water turned on as Nik turned to Stefan.

"I need that dagger, Stefan. Talk some sense into her."

"Why don't you talk some sense into her? I'm headed home to play prison guard to Damon. He's on lockdown ever since Kol compelled him to kill Jeremy last night," Stefan reported and I smiled, looking over at him.

"Ooh! Can I come? I would love the chance to see that asshole suffer." Stefan rolled his eyes at me.

"You see? That's my point exactly. If you let Kol run free, then Jeremy won't live to see his junior prom and we can kiss our map to the cure goodbye. But if you help me dagger Kol, Damon will be uncompelled, Jeremy will live, and we'll all be on our merry way to a human Elena." Stefan looked between the both of us and based on the look on his face, he was seriously considering it.

***

Walking down the steps to the cellar of the Salvatore house, I followed Stefan over to the cell Damon was being held in. I peeked through the bars, seeing him slowly open his eyes. "Well, well, well. What a sight. You know, I like the view from this side much better," I smirked. Damon glared at me before turning his eyes to his brother.

"Come to snap my neck again? Because I woke up feeling completely un-murderous and I'm pretty sure that it's safe to set me free." Stefan remained silent, tossing a vial of blood to him through the bars. "Oh, man. Really? You practically bled me dry. At least spring for a bag or something. I'm thirsty." Damon laid his head down on his arms, closing his eyes again.

"Are you sure you deserve it, Damon?" I asked as Stefan placed a bottle of water next to the bars.

"Not exactly what I had in my mind," he commented, struggling to get to his feet. Moving over to the door, he grabbed the water, spotting Nik standing next to me.

"Hello, mate."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Babysitting."

"Give him a vial of blood every couple hours so he doesn't desiccate," Stefan started, handing Nik a few vials. "If he gets too much strength back or if he just annoys you, bleed him out again."

"With pleasure," I replied, staring at Damon.

"Silent treatment, huh?" Damon asked, looking over at his brother. "Is that your best shot? He's still pissed at me for sleeping with Elena," Damon explained.

"Are you sure about that? Because we caught him trying to sneak out of Rebekah's bed this morning, which would suggest to me that he's moved on," Nik revealed and Stefan sighed.

"Well, well. Looks like my brother ripped out a page of my revenge sex handbook," Damon smirked.

"Why don't you enjoy your little, uh, villain bonding time? I'll let you know when I get the dagger from Rebekah." Stefan left and I looked back over to Damon, who had taken a seat against the wall.

"Is it too early to bleed him out?" I asked, looking up at Nik, who chuckled.

Ooh! How scandalous! So that's why she's been so tense at the sound of his name!

San Diego Comic Con is this weekend (right now, actually). Raise your hand if you wish you were there! *raises left hand* *raises right hand* *raises both of my mom's hands* *raises both of my brother's hands* *raises my dogs hands*

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.