Chapter 21

As Nik and I walked into the Grill, I scanned the faces, spotting a familiar one standing over by Nik's painting

As Nik and I walked into the Grill, I scanned the faces, spotting a familiar one standing over by Nik's painting. "There's Caroline," I commented, making my way through the maze of people with Nik following behind me. Caroline turned her head towards us as we came to a stop.

"Here to steal Tiny Tim's crutches?" She asked, looking directly at my boyfriend.

"Dickens was a dark man. You would have liked him," Nik retorted, moving closer to his painting. Caroline moved over to where I stood.

"Nice snowflake by the way."

"Is my work really that literal?"

"I'm serious. There's something...lonely about it," Caroline remarked. Nik's face dropped slightly and I could tell he didn't like her comment.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment."

"I like to think that this painting represents the time in his life before I was around," I piped up, trying to lighten the mood. "His life is so much fuller with me in it." A small smile rose on Nik's lips and I turned to Caroline, "Can I offer you some champagne?"

"Can't. Too many adult prying eyes," she announced, turning and beginning to wander away. I followed behind, lacing my fingers with Nik's. "Don't want to be a high school cautionary tale at the next town meeting."

"Well then, it's a good thing the high school part is nearly over," Nik commented. She stared at him for a moment.

"If we're going to be nice to each other, then I will need that glass of champagne."

"Allow me." Nik left a quick kiss on my cheek before walking over to the bar and I smiled, glad that they were attempting to get along. Turning my eyes back to Caroline, I noticed her looking at her phone.

"Everything okay?" I asked and she looked up at me, locking her phone.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Just my mom checking up on me." I narrowed my eyes, not quite believing her.

***

"Do you have something to share with me or should I compel it out of you?" Nik asked Stefan as I came to a stop beside them.

"Ooh, sharing time. This should be fun," I smirked, taking a sip of my champagne.

"I broke into your safe to look for the sword," Stefan admitted.

"Why?"

"Because I don't trust you."

"I showed you the sword. I explained its value. I've been on your side the entire time. What do you want from me? A secret brotherhood handshake?" Nik's voice rose in frustration, so I wrapped my hand in his, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"I found the letters. You have a few pen pals over the centuries?"

"Well, is keeping my victims' letters so different from writing their names on a wall, like you did, Ripper?" Nik chuckled, his eyes going over Stefan's shoulder to Adrian. "I'll be back," he whispered to me before starting to walk away. He turned back, "Loneliness, Stefan. That's why you and I memorialize our dead. There's the briefest of moments before we kill where we literally hold their life in our hands and then we rip it away and we're left with nothing. So gathering other peoples' letters or writing their names on a wall – it's a reminder – that in the end, we're left infinitely and utterly alone." I looked down as Nik walked away, trying to stop the tears from falling. His words hit me like a ton of bricks, reminding me of my days as a Ripper, a newborn vampire. My blood lust was so strong and I was so out of control, I killed everyone I came across. I didn't care who I hurt; men, women, even some children. Then at the end of the day, when my thirst was satisfied – even temporarily – I had no one. No friends, no family, no Henry. I had nothing.

"I'm going home," I spoke before downing the rest of my champagne. I walked away, placing the empty glass on a table as I went. Slowly making my way home, my thoughts were on Henry the entire time. It had been a while since I had last thought about him. He's been dead for a thousand years, yet it never seems to get easier. Getting to the Manor, I was quick to kick off my heels and I wandered over to the piano in the foyer, sitting on the bench. My fingers found the keys and began playing the notes before I even had time to think of a song to play. As I played more notes, I recognized the song. It was the same one I would always play when thinking about Henry. It was his song. 

As my hands continued to press down on the keys, the words floated through my mind, bringing both the good and the bad memories. Sitting under a large oak tree, listening to the birds and talking. Stealing glances as we passed each other in our village. Sneaking away from our parents to share a kiss. Being confronted by my mother. Being tied up and watching her torture him. Seeing the love and fear in his eyes right before she –. My hands froze on the keys as sobs racked my body. He was gone. The first man I had shared everything with – the man I had shared my heart with – was gone; dead. And it was because of me. No, I told myself, the tears slowing. It was because of her. My sadness turned to anger as I thought about everything she had done to me. If she were still alive, I would rip her to pieces. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes, calming myself. I wouldn't think about her. Not tonight. I thought about the song I had just played. 'My Heart Will Go On'. And it will, it did. I met Nik and my heart was finally able to start beating again. I was finally able to feel. I will always love Henry, but now I had someone else to hold my heart, someone I knew I could count on. My fingers found the keys again, this time playing something I knew wouldn't put me in a bad mood. 

With Christmas coming up and the Winter Wonderland event today, I was feeling the holiday spirit. As I sat playing, I thought about all the decorations I could put up in this house. Nik wasn't really one to decorate for the holidays, but I loved to do it. I could put a tall tree right here in the foyer where the piano usually is and decorate it from top to bottom in ornaments and lights. I could wrap the banister of the staircase in ribbon or garland. There was so much I could do. My thoughts and song were interrupted by the front door slamming open. I turned my head, seeing Nik covered in blood. "Oh my god, Nik. Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I questioned, rushing to his side.

He shook his head, "I'm fine. The blood isn't mine."

"What happened?" Leading him into the kitchen, I grabbed a towel and ran it under the water from the sink.

"I killed them: my hybrids. I killed all of them," he confessed as I wiped the blood spatters from his face.

"You killed your hybrids?"

"And Carol Lockwood," he added.

"You killed the Mayor?! Nik! Why?"

"The hybrids were plotting against me; Tyler was plotting against me. I killed them for betraying me and I killed her to get back at Tyler."

"Dear god, Nik. You can't just kill the Mayor."

"Don't worry. It looks like an accident. She had too much to drink, passed out in the fountain, and drowned."

"Well, you certainly have had an eventful evening," I reported, setting the towel down.

"The night isn't over quite yet. I believe I still have a special Christmas gift."

"Nik, you just killed thirteen people. Don't you think that should wait?"

"No, absolutely not. It is tradition to do it on this day every three years. We would be breaking tradition. Committing murder or not, we are doing this tonight."

"Fine," I huffed. Going up the stairs, I went into Kol's old room, pulling a box out of the closet. "You should probably lock the front door," I commented, knowing he could hear me from downstairs.

"Already done," he replied as I placed the box on the empty bed. I smirked, looking down at the outfit before me.

I don't really know what to say other than: you guys are probably going to enjoy the next chapter ;)

Happy Independence Day! Hope you all have fun and enjoy the fireworks! Stay safe!

My character and her story are of my own imagination. They belong to me and nobody else. Please do not steal. Copyright 2017.