Chapter 1- Alone

Chapter 1- Alone

It feels like forever since I had stopped searching, stopped running from the dead. But it wasn't forever, though even before the apocalypse death and danger seemed to follow me like gum to a shoe.

I've been alone since all hell broke loose and the dead started to walk. I survived on my own, I searched for food on my own, I stole any car I could find on my own.

I had no one, but myself.

If you knew me before all of this and then saw me now, you would think we were two different people. Before this I was kind, caring, whiling to give people more chances then I should.

Now, I stopped giving people second chances, I stopped hoping that my family was alive, I stopped feeling the pain of death.

But, you soon find yourself running through the woods with no place to go, no food in your bag, and nothing but your gun to keep you safe.

How I even found a gun and knew how to use it I'll never know. Before this, I had only shot a BB gun and still couldn't manage to stick a knife into a tree. But somehow, I taught myself. Now, I'm amazing with a gun and have no knife.

Woops.

I had stacked up on weapons when all of this first hit, heading to my friend's storage unit for weapons since he had more machetes then a machete store. But I eventually found myself unable to carry a machete around without a holder.

What did I do with it? I traded it to these guys in exchange for a gun, bullets, and some food. They asked me if I wanted to join them, but after three days I soon found myself in more danger with them then being alone.

So I left, and now here I am once again, running in the woods alone with about four walkers chasing after me. A gun shot would only draw more, so I either ran or somehow used a stick or rock to kill them.

The only thing I managed to keep through all of this is my mom's old class ring and a dog tag that said RISE ABOVE with a plain under it. On the back it read,

AIM HIGH

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

USE YOUR BRAIN

NEVER QUIT

BE READY TO GO

EXSPECT TO WIN

Those words had never fit more perfectly in my life like they did now.

I swung my gun, just hitting a walker behind me in the head, knocking it to the ground. My hands smashed the skull in, my face getting splatters of blood on it. By the time I had finished, the other three had caught up.

My hands broke off a branch, my mouth tight together. "Come on you sons of a bitches," I said to the walkers, stabbing one in the head with the stick. I took the other two down soon after, my hands searching them for anything usefully.

Nothing, of course.

I threw the stick to the ground and pulled out my gun, it ready to fire if more came. My feet carried me throughout the day, by night my legs were screaming to stop and rest.

Finally I caved and leaned myself against a tree, my eyes immediately closing. I wrapped my jean jacket around me, happy I had grabbed this, my black boots, and some clothes when all of this first happened.

It was getting a bit colder at night, but still beautiful.

The sound of a stick snapping in the distance, made my eyes shoot open and my hand, reach for my gun. Slowly I stood, ready to shoot the walker that was probable closing in on me.