Chapter 48- I'm Useless

Daryl sat next to me, clearly just as uncomfortable as I was.

At least he wasn't laying on an uncomfortable bed with his shirt up and his stomach out to the world.

"You know you don't have to be here," I said, looking at Daryl as he seemed to focus on nothing and everything all at once, but when I spoke he focused on me. "And I said you don't have to be here."

With a roll of my eyes, I playfully hit his shoulder making him crack a small smile.

"So, would you like to listen to the baby's heartbeat?" Denise asked Daryl and me making me quickly nod so she could move on from the questions.

Denise pressed a random button causing the monitor to beep continuously. She quickly started pushing different buttons until the beeping stopped, letting out a long sigh. "Sorry about that, it's been awhile since I've had to use this thing," Denise said, trying to make us relax but it did nothing.

Quickly, she flipped another switch, causing a loud heartbeat to be heard over a near-by speaker.

My heart fluttered while I stared up at the ceiling, listening to the heartbeat and absorbing it like it was a recording that I could keep forever. All I had to do was push a button to replay it and I would be brought back to this disbelief state.

"Would you like to know what you're having?" Denise asked, making my head and attention turn to her.

Daryl looked at me, still uncomfortable but relaxed a bit more. We looked into each other's eyes as if we were trying to read what the other person was saying. I opened my mouth to speak but when Daryl said yes I knew I had nothing more to say.

"Congratulations, it's a girl," Denise said, making a huge smile overtake my face. Daryl looked over at me, making me look at him, "I guess you'll have another little ass kicker."

With a smile, Daryl leaned over and gave me a kiss, telling me he was just as happy as I was. I was like Daryl, I didn't care what we were having, I just wanted it to be healthy.

After finding out that we were having a baby girl, we both agreed not to say anything to anyone yet. Sadly, Daryl wouldn't let me go with him and Aaron to find more people, which meant he was going to be gone all day today, tomorrow, and maybe the next day.

"I love you, be safe, and don't do anything too stupid," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck as he wrapped his around my waist.

"I'll try; love ya too," Daryl said, giving me a kiss before grabbing his bag and crossbow, and leaving. I watched him leave from my porch, wishing he'd turn around and say "screw it" and stay back with me. But we both knew that it was better if I stayed home and kept an eye on things.

The day moved slow, reminding me how much I relied on Daryl. Sure, sometimes we didn't say anything but his presence was more than enough for me.

I decided to find Maggie and talk with her. I hadn't had a good conversation with her or Michonne in a while.

It took me a good minute before I found Maggie sitting on a swing in a little park. She seemed to have just finished a conversation and was getting ready to leave. I quickly walked over, sitting down next to her which made her stop packing her bag.

"So, which are you selling? Illegal DVD's or drugs?" I asked with a smirk, causing Maggie to smile.

"I'd say mostly drugs and alcohol," Maggie said causing us both to break into a laugh. "So how have things been?" Maggie asked, calming her laughs down.