Chapter 11- Home Is Where the Redneck Is

A red truck followed a silver van, who followed a man and a women on a motorcycle. Sounds like the start of a bad joke.

Sadly, this is no joke, this is real life. My life at the moment. We had been driving a little over an hour. Daryl's cross bow hung on his bike while my bag hung on the back if it. My gun stayed slung around my back and my knife stayed tuck away in my side.

It hadn't accord to me till just then that Daryl was still wearing his vest. I couldn't help but smile, happy to see him loving it so much.

If it wasn't for Glenn wanting to go into this small shop and take a look around I wouldn't have found it. When I saw the vest with the angel wins on the back I immediately thought of Daryl.

As for me, my purple and black tank top hung tight on me while my jacket fit perfectly around me. My jeans that still had tons of holes on them still fit me like a glove, but it wasn't helping the cold breeze that hit me.

God I was starting to get cold. I had a stick figure, meaning when a cold gust of wind hit me, it hit my bones. Luckily I had some type of meat on my bones otherwise I probably would have been a Popsicle behind Daryl.

The sound of Rick's red truck honking made me jump out of my wandering thoughts.

Rick, T-Dog, Lori, and Carl got out of the red truck, walking up to us as Beth, Maggie, Glenn, and Hershel joined us.

"You out?" Daryl asked as we got off the bike.

Rick sighed, "Running on fumes at this point."

"Well, we can't all fit in one car," I said, wrapping my arms around me. Daryl seemed fine with his dark long sleeve shirt, vest, jeans, and boots. Lucky him.

"We'll have to make a run for some gas in the morning," Rick said, looking at the group who didn't look thrilled to be spending the night out in the open.

As if reading my mind, Carl spoke up, "I'm freezing."

I reached into my bag as Lori said, "We'll build a fire." I pulled out a small blanket, just big enough to wrap around Carl. I held it out to him, Lori taking it with a thank you.

"You go out looking for firewood, stay close," Rick said, not addressing to who he was talking to, but I knew it was most likely Daryl and me.

When Daryl spoke up, it confirmed my thoughts, "Only got so many arrows. How you doing on ammo?"

"I got nine rounds, but another 12 rounds in my bag," I said, moving my gun strap on my shoulder. "The rest of ya," I asked, nodding to the group. A small groan told me we didn't have enough.

"All right, we'll set up a perimeter. In the morning, we'll find gas and some supplies," Rick said, taking charge of the situation, though Maggie and I didn't help.

"Glenn and I can go make a run now, try and scrounge up some gas," Maggie said. I nodded, "She's got a point, if we get jumped by Walkers in the middle of the night then we're screwed."

"Listen, we'll be fine, we just need to find shelter somewhere. There's gotta be a place, not just where we hold up, but that we fortify, hunker down, pull ourselves together, build a life for each other. I know it's out there. We just have to find it."

I asked, "And for tonight?"

Rick looked around, pointing to some scattered, small walls made of bricks a few inches from the woods. "We'll make camp tonight over there, get on the road at the break of day."

Daryl spoke up, looking at me for a brief second before looking at Rick and the group, "You know we found Randall, right? He had turned, but he wasn't bit."