Chapter 56- Staying Behind

Daryl and I met with everyone in the church after we finished unloading all the food and supplies from the RV. Rick stood up front, capturing everyone's attention as he talked.

"We can work with the Hilltop. Maggie hammered out a deal. We're getting food, eggs, butter, fresh vegetables. But they're not just giving it away. These Saviors, they almost killed Sasha, Daryl, Starlet and Abraham on the road. Now, sooner or later, they will find us, just like those Wolves did, just like Jesus did. They will kill someone or some of us. And then they will try to own us. And we would try to stop them. But by then, in that kind of fight, low on food, we could lose. This is the only way to be sure, as sure as we can get, that we will win. And we have to win. We do this for the Hilltop, it's how we keep this place. It's how we feed this place. This needs to be a group decision. If anybody objects, here's your chance to say your piece."

Everyone turned around to face Morgan who sat towards the back, the only one to stand up. "You're sure we can do it? We can beat them?"

With Morgan's question on everyone's mind, they looked to Rick, "What this group has done, what we've learned, what we've become, all of us; yes, I'm sure." Morgan shrugged, "Then all we have to do is just tell them that."

Rick nodded, "Well, they don't compromise." Damn straight they don't.

Morgan sighed, "This isn't a compromise. It's a choice you give them. It's a way out, for them and for us." It took every ounce of me not to stand up and blurt out everything to Morgan. Instead, I stayed silent and leaned into Daryl's chest.

"We try and talk to the Saviors, we give up our advantage, our safety. No, we have to come for them before they come for us. We can't leave them alive," Rick said, pointing around like he was trying to make a point. Finally Rick had listened to my gut.

"Where there's life, there's possibility," Morgan said. "Of them hitting us," Rick said, trying to stop Morgan's peace keeping attitude. Morgan looked around at us, "We're not trapped in this. None of you are trapped in this."

I bit my tongue, causing Daryl to glance over at me, watching my movements.

"Morgan, they always come back," Rick said, causing me to sigh and grab the pew in front of me, pulling me up from my seat.

Everyone's eyes went to me, listening to what I had to say. "I've been through a lot since I joined this group, and if I know anything it's that the people we try to trust, backstab us when we don't strike back first. This place almost fell, and we were lucky to save it. Next time, we may not get so lucky."

I sat back down, letting my words soak into everyone.

Rick nodded, "Starlet's right. Morgan wants to talk to them first. I think that would be a mistake, but it's not up to me. I'll talk to the people still at home. I'll discuss it with the people on guard now, too, but who else wants to approach the Saviors, talk to them first?"

No one said a word, telling Rick that everyone agreed with me, letting Morgan be the outsider.

With a nod, Rick said, "Looks like it's settled. We know exactly what this is. We don't shy from it, we live." He walked down the aisle, heading out the door as he glared at Morgan, "We kill them all. We don't all have to kill, but if people are gonna stay here, they do have to accept it."

We all stood up, leaving the church and heading out.

Daryl and Rick went around telling everyone about the plain and deciding who wanted to be where. Maggie and I made sure to drop off extra supplies to kids and the elderly while we started to prepare bags for ourselves.