Chapter 40- On The Road Again

Daryl and I walked down the road, jugs of water in each hand. "I hear Rick is sending daggers at my back," Daryl said, making me laugh and look at him, "He's happy for us. Are you kidding me, it seems like everyone in our group seems to be throwing make shift fireworks into the air to celebrate."

A small laugh left Daryl's lips as we continued to walk. "I'm curious, if you hadn't found that ring, would you have done all of this?" I asked, actually wandering if this was his plan all along.

He shrugged, "Yeah, probable, I just wouldn't have anything to give ya."

I nodded, looking down at the ground for a second before looking forward again. Daryl saw this action and asked, "Hey, ya alright?"

I smiled and looked at him, "Gotta be. You?"

"Yeah, I am now," Daryl said and looked at me, giving me one of his smirks. I rolled my eyes and leaned over, giving him a kiss, before returning to the road to find a car pushed off to the side. "I'll check it," I said and sat down the containers, checking the car over.

There was a minute of silence before Daryl spoke up, seeming to read into the deepest part of my mind. "Hey, back at Terminus. You couldn't help your brother."

"Yeah I know. I just want to start over," I said and climbed out of the car, opening the trunk. "We should leave this here for backup in case things go south at the church," I said, closing the trunk.

Daryl bumped my arm, making me look at him, "I love you, ya know that?" I smiled and picked up the two jugs of water, "Yeah, I know. Otherwise you wouldn't have purposed to me."

"Want me to carry one of those?" Daryl asked, gesturing to one of the jugs, only to drop his. He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck with his now free hand. I laughed and shook my head, "Uh, no, but do you want me to carrying one of those?"

Daryl rolled his eyes and started to walk, nodding as he said, "Come on."

We arrived at the church to find that Rick and some other group members had left to find food, returning with carts full.

After some of the food was locked up, we began digging in and enjoying ourselves as our belly's got full.

Daryl and I sat next to each other on the floor, shoving food into our mouths faster than we planned. Abraham stood up, grabbing everyone's attention as he talked, "I'd like to propose a toast. I look around this room, and I see survivors. Each and every one of you has earned that title. To the survivors."

Everyone raised their glasses and said "Survivors."

Daryl reached over and took a piece of chicken from my plate making me hit his chest as he wrapped his arm around me with a cheeky smile. "Is that all you want to be?" Abraham asked, gaining our attention again.

"Wake up in the morning, fight the undead pricks, forage for food, go to sleep at night with two eyes open, rinse and repeat?"

That's what I practically did before all of this, so yeah.

"'Cause you can do that. I mean, you got the strength, you got the skill. Thing is, for you people, for what you can do, that's just surrender. Now, we get Eugene to Washington and he will make the dead die and the living will have this world again. And that is not a bad takeaway for a little road trip."

I wasn't a hundred percent on board with this, already thinking negatively.

"Eugene, what's in DC?" Abraham asked, looking over to the wolf hair man, "Infrastructure constructed to withstand pandemics even of this fubar magnitude. That means food, fuel, refuge. Restart."