Chapter 54- The Hilltop

Daryl is laying on the bed with me laying across his chest. Both of us just laid in silence, the morning birds and breeze the only sound heard in the entire house.

We soaked up the silence until Daryl finally moved a little, commenting, "We should get up. Do our rounds."

"Or we could just lay here, I don't think anyone would notice," I mumbled, burying my head into his chest. A small chuckle left Daryl's lips, causing his chest to move up and down and a smile to form on my face.

A groan left my lips as I felt Daryl start to sit up, causing me to do the same.

We both took a shower before changing and grabbing our knives and side guns. After we walked outside, I immediately noticed Glenn and Abraham running towards Rick's house.

"Glenn, what's going on?" I called, chasing after him with Daryl hot on my heels.

"Jesus broke out, we think he's at Ricks," Glenn said as we busted inside Rick's house. We noticed Jesus talking to Rick, Carl, and Michonne on the stairs, causing us to join them and aim our guns at Jesus.

Wait, why is Michonne here this early?

"It's okay, it's okay," Michonne said, putting her hands up to lower our guns. After a minute we lowered our guns but kept them in reach. Rick nodded to us, looking back to Jesus. "Let us get dressed," Rick said, disappearing into his room with Michonne.

After Rick and Michonne changed and came downstairs, we all piled into the dining room. Abraham, Michonne, Rick, Daryl, Carl, Glenn, Maggie, and I.

"You said we should talk, so let's talk. How'd you get out?" Rick asked?

"One guard can't cover two exits or third floor windows. Knots untie and locks get picked. Entropy comes from order, right?" Jesus asked, looking at Daryl who mumbled a, "Right."

Jesus looked at all of us, "I checked out your arsenal. I haven't seen anything like that in a long time. You're well-equipped, but your provisions are low. Very low for the amount of people you have. 54?"

"More than that," I said, causing Jesus to look at me, his eyes moving to Daryl who stood by me. "Look, we got off to a bad start. But we're on the same side, the living side. You, Starlet, and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn't. I'm from a place that's a lot like this one. Part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things, and all three of you looked like trouble. I was wrong, you're good people and this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

Glenn spoke up, "Do you have food?"

Jesus looked at Glenn, "We've started to raise livestock. We scavenge, we grow. Everything from tomatoes to sorghum."

Rick shook his head, "Tell us why we should believe you." Jesus nodded, seeming to understand his doubts. "I'll show you. If we take a car, I can take you back home in a day, and you can all see for yourselves who we are and what we have to offer."

Maggie held up her hand, "Wait, you're looking for more settlements? You mean you're already trading with other groups?"

Jesus looked at all of us, smiling, "Your world's about to get a whole lot bigger."

We grabbed out bags, loading them up with supplies like food, medical supplies, and a few pieces of clothing. Daryl was working on the RV, making sure everything would run safely while I helped.

The Doc walked over to us, holding out a small bag of cookies to Daryl. "Here, homemade oat cake. Complex carbohydrates, omega-3s."

Daryl glanced at the cookies then looked back at the Doc, "Nah, I'm good. We're gonna make a pit stop. I'll pick up something then." I pulled away from the back of the RV, looking at Daryl and the Doc.