Chapter 39- Hopeful Future

Night had fallen over us and everyone was laying on trees and the ground trying to get some sleep. Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Carl, and I were the only ones still awake.

I grabbed my bag and stood up, ready to join Daryl in a watch. Rick walked up to me and stopped me. He rubbed the back of his neck before saying, "I owe you everything. What you did for us, what you've always done for us, it means the world to me."

A smile spread to my face, "Rick, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Everything that was said and done at the prison, stays at the prison. We've got to keep moving forward."

Rick smiled and nodded, "Listen, in the past your gut has told you when something bad was about to happen and, and I didn't listen. Well, I'm listening now."

I smiled and glanced at the ground before starting to walk past him, "About damn time." I heard Rick let out a small laugh before returning to Michonne and Carl.

My butt sat on a fallen tree next to Daryl who starred off into the dark woods. His eyes looked over to me as I sat my bag and gun down next to me. I could feel his eyes studding me, but I ignored it. Until he didn't say anything for about five minutes.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked, looking over at him. "Nothing," He said with a shrug, looking back off into the woods. I looked at him for a minute before following his gaze off into the woods.

The feeling of someone staring at me again made me glance over at Daryl again to find him looking at me. "Okay, what's going on?" I asked with a smile as I fully turned to face him.

He sighed before reaching into his pocket and pulling out something small. He twirled and twisted it in his hand before holding the object between his index and thumb fingers. That's when I saw it, the ring I had stolen from Terminus. Out of instinct, I reached into my own pocket where it sat only to find it empty.

I looked at the ring shocked for a second, "How, where did you find that?"

"It slipped out of your pocket when you were handing out the food," Daryl said with a smirk. I hid my head in my hands with a laugh, trying to hide my embarrassment that spread on my now red face.

"This isn't what you think," I said, still hiding my face.

Daryl laughed slightly at my reaction and said, "I know. But a guy is the one to give the girl the ring. Unless I'm wrong."

I looked at Daryl slowly, confusion on my face, "Wait, what?"

He shrugged and held out the ring for me, shocking and confusing me even more. "Daryl, I know that you've probably never seen this before, but you do know what this looks like, right?"

He shrugged and nodded, "Yeah, I know." Daryl continued to hold out the ring, making my mouth drop slightly as I starred at the ring, then him.

Slowly, I took the ring and studied it, shocked by what was going on. "Is this what I think it is?"

"It's whatever you want it to be," Daryl said with a shrug before focusing his attention back on the woods in front of him. I smiled and slipped the ring on, amazed at how perfect it fit.

I looked at Daryl, admiring him as he continued to look out into the woods. My right hand sat on his cheek while my lips settled on the other side of his cheek, kissing it. "Yes," I whispered in his ear, making him turn and look at me. He smiled before kissing me.

To say I was happy would be an understatement. I had dreamed about the day that someone would ask me to marry them. Then again I wasn't expecting it to go this way, but when it comes to Daryl I wouldn't expect anything else. And I was happy.