Chapter 3- D.D.

Chapter 3- D.D.

I never held a knife right, I always held it outward, ready to swing and kill whatever was behind me. And this knife was held no different.

Daryl and I both walked into the house, immediately noticing it had been abandon for a long time, leaving any hope for supplies to be shattered. But where most found useless items, I found supplies.

Like the hand sanitizer and lotion that Daryl had overlooked. But, even I couldn't find anything useful in this place.

The kitchen came into view and I quickly but quietly started to look through the cupboards and fridge, nothing.

The floors creaked under us as we slowly and cautiously looked through each room before heading up the creaking stairs. If there were any Walkers in this house, the stairs would have caught their attention. Leading them to us.

No one, nothing.

Daryl and I made our way out the back of the house, heading back outside. I stopped in my tracks when I looked to the left, the sight of yellow roses growing made my heart sink. But what almost through me over the edge was a monarch butterfly flying by.

Somehow it seemed to land perfectly onto Daryl's knife that I held, making my hand stop shaking. Daryl looked down, noticing the butterfly on the knife. It wasn't until then that I noticed the engraving on it.

D.D.

The butterfly, as if landing only for me to notice the letters, flew away, disappearing into the beautiful sky.

"What does D.D. stand for?" I asked, looking up at Daryl who was still looking at me.

He was silent for a moment before turning to walk off, "My name, Daryl Dixon. My brother gave it to me when we were kids."

We started our walk through the woods, our ears and eyes open and ready for anything. But my mouth wouldn't shut up. "I didn't know you had a brother."

"Yeah, he was left on a rooftop of a building after Rick handcuffed him up there. Had to cut off his own hand just to get away."

I stopped, stunned by his answer to my question. I wasn't expecting that, I was just expecting a simple "yeah" or "not anymore". I couldn't respond in a full sentence after that and just said, "Oh," before continuing to follow.

The walk was silent, both of us uneasy by Daryl's comment. It wasn't until three walkers crept up to us did we finally make some type of noise.

Daryl aimed his crossbow at one, hitting it in the head. I waited until the one in front of me got closer before stabbing it in the head with the knife. In the corner of my eyes I saw Daryl reading his cross bow, aiming it behind me.

Before he could fire I quickly turned around, stabbing the Walker in the head with the knife.

Slowly, Daryl lowered his crossbow, nodding to me as if he was saying good job. I held out the knife to him, "Here, it's yours."

Shaking his head a little and biting his lip, Daryl said, "Na, you keep it."

Not another word was said after that, not even when we returned to the farmhouse. It was just getting dark when we got back and everyone was just finishing up eating, gathered around a fire.

"Any luck?" Maggie asked from the porch, her eyes watching as Daryl and I went our separate ways.

"Nothing, we'll start making runs tomorrow so if there is anything you want, write it down," I said, making my way up to her. She nodded, "Will do, you should go take a shower."