Chapter 24- I'm In Charge

Well, this is it. The meeting that will determine if we have piece with Woodbury or if a war will be in our near future. Rick wanted me to stay behind, gather all of our weapons in case of an attack.

Glenn was supposed to be in charge but he felt I could handle the group better. So I guess I'm in charge.

A huge table of weapons sat in front of all of us. Merle looked at it like it was Christmas.

I grabbed two boxes of ammo and called over Carl and Beth, handing one to each of them. "Carl, stash these at the loading dock. Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they have plenty of ammo."

Glenn grabbed a few tools, "I'll go work on the cage outside." Glenn was going to fix the fence that covered the stairs, making it easier to point a gun out of them and still have protection.

Merle spoke up, "What we should be doing is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the Governor. We know where he is right now."

"So, in other words, go in and kill him?" I asked, loading up a gun while looking at him.

"Yeah," Merle said with a nod. Michonne spoke up, standing next to me as she said, "We told Rick and Daryl that we'd stay put."

Merle shrugged, "I've changed my mind, sweetheart. Being on the sideline with my brother out there ain't sitting right with me."

"I agree, but the three of them are right in the middle of it. No idea we're coming. They could get taken hostage or killed. A thousand things could go wrong."

"And they will," Merle said impatiently. Carl spoke up, looking at Merle, "My dad can take care of himself."

Yes he can.

Merle looked at the kid, "Sorry, son, but your dad's head could be on a pike real soon."

I sat the gun down and gave Merle a look that read "really?" Glenn walked back in, setting down his tools. He must have heard us talking because he chimed in and said, "It's not the right move, not now. We can't take the risk of putting them in the crossfire."

Merle looked at Glenn, "Last I checked, you weren't in charge."

I finished loading up another gun and looked around at everyone, "No, I am. Which makes it my decision and we're not going anywhere." With that, I turned and left, heading off to make sure the food and water was all set if need be.

Michonne walked over, setting down her sword. "You made the right call," She said, watching me.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean everyone's going to listen to it," I said, glancing at her.

"They'll have to," Michonne said, making me look at her and smile. "So, Rick tells me you used to have a family."

Her smile faded, causing me to stop and say, "I'm sorry. I get it, you don't want to talk about your family." She nodded, looking at the ground for a minute. "But I have realized that telling someone makes it easier."

"Let me guess, you told Daryl," Michonne said with a smile as she looked at me. I blushed, looking at the ground before returning to the food. "I think you two are perfect together."

I laughed, "Everyone says that."

"Because it's true," Michonne said, her smile slowly fading. "We're not going to make it."

I looked at Michonne confused, "What do you mean?"

"None of us, not Maggie or Glenn or Carl, not even Rick. We're all going to die eventually from this new world. But you and Daryl, you'll be the last ones standing."