Chapter XVII : Gawking

Chapter XVIII : Gawking.

|2555 words|

Kindly insert your playlist here.

Listen to Hotel California By Eagles.

Elaine's P.O.V

BOOM! A loud noise sounded from downstairs. "It sounded like it was coming from the kitchen," I thought out loud. I jumped out of my bed and landed face-down on the floor.

I groaned and moaned from the tapping sun-light against my face, wondering how long I'd been sleeping. I blinked, shut my eyes, blinked again, yawning I managed to fully open both eyes.

My brows furrowed at the continuous noise from downstairs and I frowned opening the door to be hit with the morning gust of wind.

My steps downstairs were slow and sleepy, but my feet promptly froze at the familiar, annoying giggles of my exasperating fourteen-year old teenage step brother.

No. Please, no. I can't handle puberty.

I fixed my glare at the wild troublesome running carelessly around the house and chasing after his dog.

Perfect, because all am missing now is a spoiled dog running around my feet.

Agh, I don't know how my dad used to stand him. Yet, I still love him no matter his behavior.

I rolled my eyes and made my way to the kitchen, where awkwardly my mom and step-mom were seated across each other, silently eating cereal, and slightly glaring at each other.

I cleared my throat and went to put for myself cereal as well.

"Oh! Elaine, my darling!" Josephine said with a wide grin and pulled me in a tight hug. I smiled back at her, wrapping my arms around her torso.

"Josephine, nice to see you. It's been long." I murmured with nod.

She nodded, breathing out a deep breath and chuckled. She went to grab my wrist and pulled me to the living room where her suitcases were.

"Yes, it has been long. Jason was supremely enthusiastic to come back to London. And am sure he is way bored and sick of staying home alone in Canada. He really looks forward to hangout with you again, Elaine." She exclaimed benevolently, squeezing my cheeks.

I chuckled awkwardly, pulling my face away. Nodding, I crossed my arms against my chest and smiled at her.

"I look forward to that, too."

"Good. I brought a gift." She said with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

I raised my eyebrow in confusion. She got me a gift? Why would she?

"You really didn't have to-"

"I wanted to. Plus, it's nothing much, but a small gesture for our little connection by your father's soul." She mumbled smiling sadly, tears building up.

My smile fell, and I looked away. I breathed in and exhaled, calmly I looked back at her. Forcing a smile, I placed my hand on her shoulder kindly.

"Thank you, really. I am sure He's watching as from above." I said slowly.

She nodded and cleared her throat, blinking the tears away she pulled out a small box.

"Take this. It's the only thing your father left."

I furrowed my eyebrows and took the box from her hands. Observing it I tilted my head, a necklace? A jewelry?

I opened the small box and my eyes twinkled in surprise. I pushed the urge to jump up and down in joy.