Chapter XXII : Marriage Is Like A Deck Of Cards

|2471 words|

Kindly insert your playlist here.

Listen to Numb by Linkin Park.

Elaine's P.O.V

I sat outside the porch of our new house, staring at the children running around in the garden across.

To the ancient oak in the backyard my entire life so far had been like one sunny afternoon.

I rolled my eyes, and then two cars pull up. I took a sip of my hot boiling coffeé and tapped my foot annoyingly on the pavement, already feeling anger when I saw Marianne and Richard walk their way to me.

I forced in a fake smile, getting up to greet them.

I kissed mum on the cheek then shook hands with Richard. I raised a curious brow at them and cleared my throat.

"So, what brings you here?"

"How about we go in and talk about it?" Richard suggested, a guilty smile hanging at the edge of his lips.

I frowned then nodded, we walked in and sat on the couch as I crossed my arms against my chest. Thank God Rowan isn't here, he would've made this even more awkward.

"Am listening."

"Well, first I will ask you a question you won't really feel like answering." Marianne-mum- said tapping her fingers on the mini wooden desk beside her.

"Go ahead."

"Did you sleep with Rowan in bed, yesterday?"

I almost spit the coffeé at her question, and stared up at her wide eyed. Why would she ask that? It's none of her business.

"I am not answering that. We're engaged, our sexual life is personal." I responded glaring at her.

"I didn't ask if you had sex, I-"

"I know what you meant." I said boredly, sighing angrily. I can't wait for them to leave, am so sick with dealing with this subject. What happened to mum? She was so much cooler before.

"Answer my question, and you'll know the reason we came here."

"No. No, I didn't sleep in the same bed with him." I mumbled glaring at the ceiling.

There was a pause of silence, then Richard cleared his throat.

"Why not?"

I pressed my fingers to my temples and run circles to calm my irritation from their investigation.

"Because I didn't want to. How is it any of your business?" I asked glaring at both of them.

"We need to decide the day of your marriage."

Oh God, kill me now I beg you.

"What? It's too early. The least, a year should pass." I said and got up.

"No Elaine, this is not how it happens in our world. Especially arranged marriages in the rich life."

"Fuck the rich life. You don't get to control my life, I don't want to be rich." I yelled at mum, clenching my fists tightly.

She got up angrily, and grabbed my forearm pulling me to the kitchen.

"Listen to me, Elaine. Richard knows. So that's the only reason he is coping with your disgraceful behavior! Behave yourself! Now that it's began, you will finish it properly." She said firmly.