Chapter XXXVII: Love And Betrayal

I sat in front of the inspector disoriented and unbalanced. I was afraid I would falter.

"My husband."

Carter raised his eyebrows slightly. "And what is the crime that your husband committed?"

"He murdered six people that I'm not familiar with, and a woman called Lilia Scott."

Carter's ears perked up at the mention of Lilia's name. "Do you possess the evidence right now?"

I hesitated, and because I did, I faltered. I lied. "No."

Carter looked at me confused, he tilted his head to the side and shifted forward.

"You came to report a crime without evidence? Didn't you say you recorded it?"

I gulped again. "I have it. But not here."

"What is your husband's name?"

"Rowan Roosevelt."

Carter paused. He looked at me in a way I could not understand. He remained silent for a minute and then his lips twitched up and down as if he was trying to control a laugh.

"What?" I inquired worriedly.

He coughed and wore a frown all of a sudden. He grabbed a pen and wrote Rowan's name on a piece of paper.

"Your phone number, Ms. Danielle."

I told the detective my number. "Will you arrest him?"

Carter sighed. "No. Unfortunately, ma'am, I need an arrest warrant first. And I cannot get that without proof."

I ran my tongue across my lips. "I'll get the evidence for you. It's at my house."

He nodded.

"I'll make sure to investigate the information you've given me. I will contact you very soon so you could show me the evidence you possess. And if you need anything, just give me a call." He said professionally and handed me his card.

I walked out of Carter's office and almost slapped myself.

Why the fuck did I lie? I have the evidence in my pocket. I already told him everything, why does it matter if I give him the recorder!
I'm so stupid.

I turned to stare at Carter's office door and reconsidered walking in there and giving it to him. But something in my gut told me to wait.

I left immediately, afraid I'd change my mind and get lost in my thoughts.

I had no idea where to go. Home? I don't know if I have it in me to face Rowan right now.

I got in a cab and arrived soon after to the front door of the house.

It was late, I stepped in and the silence enveloped the entire house. It was dark. I entered my room only to see a naked chest before me. I looked up at Rowan and rolled my eyes.

"Can I tell you something?" He said quickly before I could open my mouth. He stepped forward so that his body was aligned with mine, I could feel the heat radiating from his chest through the fabric of my shirt. He slipped his hand around my waist and pulled me closer.

"You are invading my personal space." I commented.

"I'm sorry." He said bluntly yet with meaning and he took me off guard.

I stared into his eyes long enough to try to find sarcasm but I didn't.

His hazel eyes looked at me with determination.

"What exactly are you apologizing for?" I asked but it came out hushed.

"I can't."

"You can't what?"

"I can't tell you why I am sorry. But I want you to know that I'd never let anyone or anything harm you." He spoke with seriousness and I almost didn't believe what he was saying.

"Why? Am I important to you?" Sarcasm laced the tone of my voice.

"You are more than just important to me." With that he unlaced his arm from my waist and walked out of the room.

Um, what the fuck just happened?

I can't let guilt eat on me right now. I did the right thing no matter what he says.

I sighed and allowed my self to get rest on my bed, delaying all my messed up worries to the next day.

__________

I woke up tired, feeling drained of power. Unfortunately, I did not get the rest I wished for, I woke up every few hours at the night constantly feeling worry and confusion.

Walking down the stairs, I saw Rowan having breakfast at the kitchen.

"Morning." He mumbled while sipping at his coffee.

I passed behind him in order to prepare my own. "Morning." I said.

He glanced at me from the side of his eye. "Had trouble sleeping?"

"Like you care." I took my mug and decided to sit in a different room.

I switched on the television, allowing myself to sway away with the movies, and my thoughts to be silenced.

A while after, I felt soft lips touch my ear.

"Did you really think you can get rid of me?"

I jumped and span around to stare at Rowan. His face expressions were calm, he tilted his head and scanned my face.

"I'm disappointed. " He said gently.

Startled, I answered him. " What are you talking about? I just want to have my morning alon-"

"I don't think Carter can be of any help to you. " He smirked.

What! How can he possibly have known about that! He is always a step a head of me!

I didn't know what to say. If it were someone who wasn't a fridge I would say he almost looked hurt.

I moved my gaze away from his eyes to the floor. Clueless of what I should do or say.

I felt him move a step closer. He sat on the other edge of the couch. His fingertips finely placed on the skin of his chin.

"Look at me." He ordered. I did. "You say one thing then you do another."

I glared at him. "You are in no position to scold me."

He grabbed my wrist tightly and pulled me to him aggressively.  "I am scolding you. Not for telling about me to the police but for lying."

I could feel his breath sink into the deepest parts of me, I inhaled it, breathed it, felt it, and I yearned for more.

"Lying? About what did I lie?"

He moved closer to my ear, and whispered. "One who loves does not betray."