Chapter 3

"So how was your first day at school Frisk?"

I shove my pasta around my plate with my fork, avoiding the question.

"She was so cool!" replies Thalia for me. "This girl named Chara came up to her and- You guys okay?"

She falters as she sees my friend's faces.

Toriel has dropped her knife and fork and Sans has stopped eating.

"You don't really have to tell them everything." I mumble across the table.

"Are you kidding?" gushes Thalia, "It was so awesome! I don't think she's ever gonna try and beat you up again!"

I let go of my knife and fork and hold my face in my hands.

"Beat you up?" shrieks Toriel, "Why on earth did she want to beat you up?"

"Because I sat at their table, apparently," I say, instantly regretting the choice of words.

A chair scrapes against the floor.

"Someone's looking for a bad time!" growls Sans.

I peek through my fingers and see Sans standing up, his left eye glowing bright blue.

Thalia is looking shocked. I guess she's never seen a monster use magic before.

Mostly to help calm Thalia down, I stand up too.

"It's okay Sans, I dealt with it," I tell him, motioning towards Thalia.

The glow fades and he grudgingly sits down.

I sit back down too, kind of embarrassed.

My cheeks flush.

Thalia notices my red face and giggles.

I glare daggers at her and she reduces her giggling to snorts of laughter.

Papyrus it seems, is too busy studying his pasta to take notice of anything that is happening. Toriel stands up and carries her plate over to the sink.

When she returns, she asks Thalia, "Would you like to head home now, my child? I do hope you've had an enjoyable evening."

Thalia gulps down the rest of her pasta and nods towards Toriel. "Thanks very much," she says, "That was delicious!"

"I'm glad you enjoyed it!" replies Toriel, smiling.

I stand back up and ask Thalia, "Do you want me to walk you home? It's rather dark out."

Thalia nods and heads for the door. She pauses and turns around, waving at everyone.

"Thanks guys!" she calls to the room at large. Papyrus waves heartily, and Sans winks. Toriel smiles again.

"You're free to visit us anytime, okay?"

Thalia grins.

"Will do!"

And we both walk out the door.

"Where's your house again?"

"It's just down the road, then you turn right," Thalia replies with a smile.

"So, your family sure is something..." she says, tentatively.

"They're mostly friends, Toriel isn't really my mum."

"Okay," she says, "I thought it was kind of strange that you had a monster as a mum."