Chapter 9

"You need to tell me what's happening!" Thalia whines, "I'm, like, dying not knowing what's going on!"

I shake my head at her as the three of us walk into the cafeteria.

We find a table in the corner of the room, and sit down.

Sans pulls a lone bottle of ketchup from his bag and starts to chug it down.

"No way," I tell him, pulling it from his hands, "You are not getting drunk on your first day of school!"

"Drunk?" asks Thalia, laughing.

Sans shrugs and says, "It's a long story."

"One that I'd love to hear," she says, turning to face him.

"Maybe I should rephrase that," Sans says, "I don't really want to tell the story now."

Thalia looks disappointed, but still laughs.

"You could hear it tonight, when you come over for dinner with Undyne and Alphys," I tell her, remembering what Toriel said.

"Yay!" she cries.

She gets up and dances around the table, freaking out a couple of kids that were sneaking closer to Sans.

"Okay, sit down crazy person, before you bang into someone," I say, trying to help her sit down.

She grudgingly sits on the bench, then asks, "If I come tonight, will you tell me what's happening?"

I roll my eyes at her and say, "Fine, but only because you won't shut up about it if I don't."

"Yes! Best night ever!" she squeals, clapping her hands.

She almost hits another kid, who walks over to Sans and asks, bluntly, "What are you?"

"Welp, some call me a Bonehead, others call me a Lazybones," he looks over at me and smirks, "But most just call me a skeleton."

The kid gives him a doubtful look, then walks away.

I nudge Sans in the ribs, though smiling in spite of myself.

"Chara's watching you," says Thalia, leaning in.

Sans looks across the room, and makes eye contact with her, then turns back to us.

"There's something up with her," he whispers to us, as someone else comes over to ask why Thalia and I are sitting with Sans.

"Because he's our friend!" Thalia tells the kid, indignantly.

"You're friends with a monster?" she asks, folding her arms.

"Got a problem?" asks Thalia, narrowing her eyes.

"Course not," the kid replies, walking away.

"These people are really annoying me with their stupid questions," huffs Thalia.

"It'll be okay," I tell her.

"Of course it will! I'm coming over to your house tonight!" she says, grinning.

I roll my eyes at her as Sans just laughs.

"You do actually have to try, Sans," I tell him, as we walk out of the gym, after finishing a game of Soccer.

"I did try!" he protests, "I tried hard not to fall asleep during the game! That was tough work!"

I laugh with Thalia, following him out the door, into the courtyard.

He extends his hand out to me, and I take it.